Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
If this helps, I feed mine every other day.
Same here, they eat left over fish food also so you might be feeding way too much.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

leftover flake=overfeeding

Old 10-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know I haven't been overfeeding in terms of flakes for Top to Middle fishes. I watch them eat it all before I leave.

I think I am however dropping too many algae wafers. Which also will be consumed entirely with no leftovers.

I'll need to cut back on the wafers.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon
leftover flake=overfeeding
Regardless how much u eat some will fall to the bottom. That's what scavengers eat.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhli Loach View Post
You know I really hate, how clown loaches and yoyos and zebras are all more popular than kuhlis when kuhlis are a GREAT species the stay out of the way, can live with almost any species, clean gravel and decor and are amazing to watch! The only bad things are they can dissapear for months in the gravel and eat algae wafers, which isn't a problem for most because plecos eat them too. And if you have 6+ kuhlis you will see them much more and will be more willing to come out and play with their species!

I love plecos and kuhli loaches the best.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait54

Regardless how much u eat some will fall to the bottom. That's what scavengers eat.
I highly disagree that no matter what some will fall to the bottom
Old 10-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I highly disagree that no matter what some will fall to the bottom
There is nothing to disagree about. Fish will miss little peaces of food that fall to the bottom.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #48
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I agree that some bits will typically fall to the floor, but I don't see that as a bad thing when you have a bunch of bottom feeders. For me, I don't really think that making sure there are flakes for your bottom feeders is overfeeding. Also, IME, too much algae wafer=bloated fish (for fish who are not strictly algae eaters).
Old 10-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah its not overfeeding if the bottom feeders eat it all up.
And yes, there is something to disagree about bc the way i feed i dont leave any leftover flake. I disagree, and you disagree with me, and thats okay, end of story
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah its not overfeeding if the bottom feeders eat it all up.
And yes, there is something to disagree about bc the way i feed i dont leave any leftover flake. I disagree, and you disagree with me, and thats okay, end of story
So if you feed them both 2 times a day it's overfeeding. That's what I was saying.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess it was a misunderstanding bc i have no idea what youre talking about now haha so im gonna drop it
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think all Loaches have in general In groups of five or more a very playful and entertaining personality. My favorite will always be the yo-yo but the khulis are cool too just a matter of opinion but my Yo-Yo's are very fun to watch. It probably depends where you live but here I find yo-yo's very hard to come by but khulis very common. I had to wait 6 weeks for my last set of yo-yo's when I had my LFS special order them!! Another cool loach you should check out is the cruciatus loach very small ( I have some in a 5 gal) their perfect for smaller tanks but they're also really fun! I bought them from Severum Mama and so far I love them!!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feed my fish 2 small pinches of flakes at 7:00-12:00 and 9:00-11:00 a day and feed them brine shrimp on Monday's and Thursday's and a few flakes fall to the ground each feeding. I have been watching my pleco and kuhlis very closely and I think they eat enough flakes and algea not to have wafers (but I have some just in case).
Old 10-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhli Loach
I feed my fish 2 small pinches of flakes at 7:00-12:00 and 9:00-11:00 a day and feed them brine shrimp on Monday's and Thursday's and a few flakes fall to the ground each feeding. I have been watching my pleco and kuhlis very closely and I think they eat enough flakes and algea not to have wafers (but I have some just in case).
Have you ever tried boiled shelled peas? Both my Yo-Yo's and cruciatus loaches love them and they like to play with them lol!!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I ordered Kuhli's for my 40 breeder the other day. They look like very amazing creatures.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Activist

Havent feed them peas yet, I'll have to try! And yes Kuhlis are beautiful, amazing creatures!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

I want some but can't find them anywhere. Do they go by different names?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nope just Kuhli Loach, but they have a sub-species called Black Kuhli Loaches. There scientific name is Pangio Kuhlii but I don't think ant FS calls them by there scientific name. Ask your LFS if they can order some in. Even if they can't they are worth traveling a bit. Hope this helps!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 AM   #59
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhli Loach View Post
Nope just Kuhli Loach, but they have a sub-species called Black Kuhli Loaches. There scientific name is Pangio Kuhlii but I don't think ant FS calls them by there scientific name. Ask your LFS if they can order some in. Even if they can't they are worth traveling a bit. Hope this helps!
From what I know, the black kuhli is not a subspecies, it is a different species. The Kuhli is Pangio kuhli and the black kuhli is Pangio oblonga. Maybe you have read different resources than me though, but I have seen those names in more than one place.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just bought 5 striped khulis today...and i love them!
One of the coolest fish ever. Im going to buy a few more so theyll mob together

Tags
kuhli, kuhli loach, loach, loaches

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com