I think my fish have early stages of ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangepunkins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 3 mollies the other day from a local ps and within 24 hrs they were flashing. 1 was flashing really bad. So I removed them and put it a small tank and now I'm treating them. I think the damage was done when I did not listen the the inner voice saying "DO NOT BUY THESE FISH" So yesterday my son said 1 of my hatchets had white spots (I sat for an hr trying to look at these fish thru a magnifying glass thru the tank but didn't see any white spots. BUT what I did see some of my fish were now flashing as well (never flashed before)
What do I do???? I do not want to add chemicals as the tank is heavily planted and I have 2 mystery snails I LOVE. The water perimeters are good. I do not want to add salt because of my snails and plants. Any advise please. I think I'm going to do the high heat for 10 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you want to treat without salt or chemicals you will need to raise the temperature to above 90 degrees. I typically recommend 92 just to be safe. Make sure you have an accurate thermometer in the tank to measure this. Sadly, the manual ones are usually more accurate than the cheap digital thermometers that are typically sold for aquariums.

That being said, you need to make sure that your aquatic life can handle this temp. Otherwise it may be better to treat with salt + slightly lower temp.

There is no early stages of ich, either you have it or you don't. I've never seen any reason to raise temp above 86 degrees.

There is no early stages of ich, either you have it or you don't. I've never seen any reason to raise temp above 86 degrees.
Ich stops reproducing at that temperature but in the 90's it actually dies. I haven't had Ich in a long time but in the past I had a couple of instances where treating at 86 for 10 days was not enough and it returned again after the temp was lowered.

Ich stops reproducing at that temperature but in the 90's it actually dies. I haven't had Ich in a long time but in the past I had a couple of instances where treating at 86 for 10 days was not enough and it returned again after the temp was lowered.

Agreed, 86 has worked well for me. If going to raise to > 90 degrees OP, then be sure to increase aeration in the tank as warmer water has less oxygen. Provided your fish can handle higher degrees.

If you want to treat without salt or chemicals you will need to raise the temperature to above 90 degrees. I typically recommend 92 just to be safe. Make sure you have an accurate thermometer in the tank to measure this. Sadly, the manual ones are usually more accurate than the cheap digital thermometers that are typically sold for aquariums.

That being said, you need to make sure that your aquatic life can handle this temp. Otherwise it may be better to treat with salt + slightly lower temp.

agreed with this. It works for me.

Go for 86 and leave it for 2 weeks minimum. I don't know but the extra 4 days made me feel that little bit safer

I wish I had treated with meds from the start. Just went through this. Kordon's ich removal. Herbal. Supposed to be less toxins to fish. Was much easier on my fish than raising the temps was. Ich signs were gone in 3 days after treating.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom