Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think my pearl and opaline gouramis are preparing to spawn?

First, is this possible? The male is the pearl and has turned vibrantly orange and the opaline female has filled out quite a bit. They're in a 29 gallon tank with 9 neon tetras, a clown pleco and a african dwarf frog. I don't have another tank for breeding and am wondering what I should do if anything. Thanks in advance for any advice

Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Do you want to keep a spawn? If it doesn't matter to you, I would just do nothing. If you want to keep a spawn, you will have more luck by isolating them in breeding tank without tankmates that can eat the young. Frankly, you may even get fry with that group, though your chances are always decreased by every tankmate you have.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

So it isn't required to move them to a separate tank? It would be intresting to see them spawn but getting another tank isn't in my budget right now.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

No, it is not required. Lots of people have fish spawning in community tanks. The primary reason for a separate breeding tank are for keeping fish from beating on each other and from eating fry. You can never totally predict what a pair will be like when they spawn, but as long as it working out fine in your community, you can leave everybody in there. Get some pictures if you can. Pearl gouramis are beautiful!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your male may WANT to spawn, but I would be shocked to see anything actually come of it since Pearl and Opaline Gourami are two totally different species. It's not uncommon for the males to put on breeding colors and make bubble nests, and for the female to get egg heavy, but I don't believe such a cross breeding would create viable eggs even if a mating were to occur.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Well, I clearly shouldn't read threads when I am tired, because Luananeko is very correct that these species will not likely make a spawn. I apologize, I read too fast and missed the opaline part.
So, my point is still valid that you don't need a breeding tank.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko View Post
Your male may WANT to spawn, but I would be shocked to see anything actually come of it since Pearl and Opaline Gourami are two totally different species. It's not uncommon for the males to put on breeding colors and make bubble nests, and for the female to get egg heavy, but I don't believe such a cross breeding would create viable eggs even if a mating were to occur.
That's what I was wondering about. Thanks for the info

Tags
gourami, gouramis, line, ram, spawn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com