I think my shrimp are awol ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristap

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up a pair of algae eating shrimp from my lfs yesterday and am afraid that they are awol. It's possible that they're hiding but I have seen absolutely no trace of them since releasing them into the tank. In fact, I had an otto die last night and when I found him this morning ... I was surprised to find that there were no shrimp, um, working on him.

Unless they climbed out of the tank, covered save for the cutout for the hob filter ... I think that something may have eaten them. Would you mind lending a quick look at my list for any snail predators?

48G bowfront
1 gold nugget pleco
5 lamp eye tetra
5 red minor tetra
4 hatchets
5 zebra danio
4 otto
4 leopard danio

The shrimp were pretty small but I didn't think that anybody on my list would do something like that. Would they?

You have no shrimp predators (or any predators) in your tank. I would believe that they have climbed into/under your decorations. You may be able to see them when the lights are out and they come out to forage for food.

I was pretty sure that I had a peaceful group of critters. Just my luck to find out that tetras are natural shrimp predators or some such nonsense :)

I agree with Jchillin. They are probably hiding during the day. Turn the lights out and then come looking for them. You'll find the scowering for food.

I couldnt find my snail for the first day or two. Turning the lights off, waiting a bit, and coming back with a flashlight or something, and I saw him cruising around. They can blend in fairly easily :)

Back
Top Bottom