Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think my shrimp are awol ...

I picked up a pair of algae eating shrimp from my lfs yesterday and am afraid that they are awol. It's possible that they're hiding but I have seen absolutely no trace of them since releasing them into the tank. In fact, I had an otto die last night and when I found him this morning ... I was surprised to find that there were no shrimp, um, working on him.

Unless they climbed out of the tank, covered save for the cutout for the hob filter ... I think that something may have eaten them. Would you mind lending a quick look at my list for any snail predators?

48G bowfront
1 gold nugget pleco
5 lamp eye tetra
5 red minor tetra
4 hatchets
5 zebra danio
4 otto
4 leopard danio

The shrimp were pretty small but I didn't think that anybody on my list would do something like that. Would they?

Old 10-04-2005, 11:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You have no shrimp predators (or any predators) in your tank. I would believe that they have climbed into/under your decorations. You may be able to see them when the lights are out and they come out to forage for food.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was pretty sure that I had a peaceful group of critters. Just my luck to find out that tetras are natural shrimp predators or some such nonsense
Fauna: gold nugget pleco, otto (3), leopard danio (4), zebra danio (4), hatchets (4), white cloud danio (4), ghost shrimp (4)
Flora: balansae, grn wendtii, red wendtii, tiger lotus, narrow leaf chain sword, java fern,
anubias pygmy, anubias barteri, anubias coffeefolia, dwarf sag, corkscrew val
Filtration: Rena XP3
kristap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree with Jchillin. They are probably hiding during the day. Turn the lights out and then come looking for them. You'll find the scowering for food.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Give them a little time, to adjust to the "new world". They might have to figure out first, that there is nothing to fear.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to erik7 Send a message via Yahoo to erik7
I couldnt find my snail for the first day or two. Turning the lights off, waiting a bit, and coming back with a flashlight or something, and I saw him cruising around. They can blend in fairly easily

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com