I think you guys are giving me MTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think you guys are giving me MTS! :p

I have now been dabbling in this hobby for about 2 months, have a 38 gallon I think is coming along nicely. I am finding that I really enjoy this hobby, and am now starting to find that I have a desire to get another smaller tank, perhaps a 20 or a 29 and kind of start playing with breeding fish. I bought 4 killifish that I think are wonderful, but I am a little nervous about putting them in the 38 with the gourami. Also, with a 20 or 29 I could play with more swordtails or platies (so many varieties, so many good ones), and try to breed them. Not to mention the fact I don't think most peaceful species will do well in the 38 the way I have it stocked...might be nice to have a very peaceful tank too.

Must....not.....give.....in....how long am I going to last? :D

Paul

You do not need to "try" to breed Livebearers like Swords and Platys. Just setup some zones for the fry to hide and it just happens. Repeatedly :) Very rarely does anyone have trouble getting fry out of livebearers as long as you have males and females in the tank.

Having two tanks (or more) is cool, go for it :D

I get the urge to buy a new tank about every three months, there is no cure besides a lack of money. I think I would turn entire rooms of the house into fish tanks if I had the money. It's not working very well though since I already have 6 tanks. I just like the little guys way too much.

Oh! :D

I guess I wasn't very clear on that one, I guess I meant 'try' to breed the killifish. I also would like to breed the swordtails and platies, but you're right, I don't think that will be difficult...I believe 1 of my green swordtails is pregnant right now already! She has a large black spot that has been growing for the last several weeks and she is big and round. I keep thinking she's got to have babies soon, but the days keep going by...

Paul

This is a very 8O contagious hobby once you get educated and have people to talk to!
Right now I am trying to talk the hubby into a nice 100gal. He is weakening but would make me get rid of my 29gal. Not just put into storage for a later date... get rid of! 8O
We are in serious negotiations. :twisted:

Your Green Sword is definitely pregnant :) Do you have any good area for the fry to hide in? Once the fry pop out, a few should make it as long as they have floating plants to hide in and/or thick ground plants that they can hide in. They can hide is rocks too if they can fit between them.

Baby fish are really sweet. Watching them grow adds a whole new dimension to your tank. Just make sure you do not end up with too many little fish with no place to put them. No pet stores would take my fry, so I had to buy a Betta to munch on my Guppy fry population last year :p

You can be broke and happy with many tanks. Being broke and missing out on a few things is worth it. Forget cable--if I want...
~ drama, there's the shellie tank
~comedy, there's the Badis badis tank
~romance, there's the brichardi tank
~great family entertainment, there's the 50 gal community tank (with something for everyone)
~action and adventure, there's the Mbuna tank
~horror, there's my soon to be brackish tank (it's been a bad week for this tank :()

Menagerie said:
You can be broke and happy with many tanks. Being broke and missing out on a few things is worth it. Forget cable--if I want...
~ drama, there's the shellie tank
~comedy, there's the Badis badis tank
~romance, there's the brichardi tank
~great family entertainment, there's the 50 gal community tank (with something for everyone)
~action and adventure, there's the Mbuna tank
~horror, there's my soon to be brackish tank (it's been a bed week for this tank :()

hahahha ! trhat was lovely :)

MTS? At least there's a name for it. I started innocently with a 20g kit. Then a friend gave me a 10 kit, which is up and running with a betta and soon to be cories. Then someone else gave me another 10g and a 5g. Still empty. I also have a 33g that was too good to pass up. I haven't got it up and running yet because I want to strengthen and refinish the stand first. Just the other day someone else told me they want to give me their tank that's been sitting in their basement forever. It's amazing how many people don't learn about fishkeeping, so they give up early, then their tank sits downstairs for 15 years until they give it away. Eventually all the tanks will be set up, but over time since they all need filters, hoods, heaters, gravel, decorations. The list goes on, my bank account goes down.
A 100g tank? Oh, my, I'm drooling!
(My swordtail and platy are always pregnant, it seems, but never a fry to be seen. Lots of plants, caves, pots, to hide in, but one day the fish are fat and ready to explode, the next they're lean again, but no babies to be seen. :( )

MTS is a funny thing. One day I have a 10 gal, six months later I have a 10, 30, and 55...

Just accept your fate... :)

Maybe I should rethink my breeding idea...:)

I thought that I had enough places for the fry to hide and so I didn't worry about a breeding trap or a mess of something floating for them to hide...part of it too was that I am very busy the last few weeks and haven't had a lot of time to mess with it.

I come home tonight to check out my swordtail which was very very pregnant when I left at noon, and is now....NOT? She still has a tiny black spot, but she is no longer round. I almost didn't recognize her! I searched high and low in the plants and everywhere I thought would be a good hiding place...no babies...:(

At one point during my search, I noticed that the formerly pregnant sword was making a little poop, and one of the males came over and almost put it in his mouth...giving me the idea that he was following her around eating the fry as she had them...giving them a lot of time to get away and hide of course. Oh well, as I'm sure many here have experienced, I'm sure she'll be pregnant again. This time I'll try to make sure there's really places for them to hide or put her in a breeding trap.

Paul

MTS IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!

I started out years ago with a 10gal tank and a goldfish...
Now I have two 10gal tanks with bettas a 5gal set up for qt, a 55gal community tank and a 180gal Oscar tank.

Last week my apartment contained 5 tanks. 40gal (breaking down to sell), a 10 gal QT tank, my 29gal up and running, my 75gal soon to be up and running and a 20gal that I bought to give to a friend (along with my goldfish they plan to take care of for me).

Man, what I could do with all of those!

Started with a 29 gallon. Failed miserably due to an ex-friend of my wife's who worked at a Pet store and acted like she knew everything telling us we could just "add fish" because we got a better filter (Penguin 330 :p). This was of course a bad experience. At this time we already had a 75 gallon but a lizard lived in it.

Then arrives 10 gallon #1, and the 29 gallon survivors move in. We move appartments shortly after and the lizard goes away. 10 gallon keeps its survivors, the 75 gallon gets a lot of fish (Added much more carefully), and eventually the 29 gallon collects some cichlids.

Enter 90 gallon #1. Cichlids move to 90 gallon. 29 gallon becomes death bed for "The Gourami Experiment" .. The store had a disease out break and none of them made it past QT.

The Great Ammonia Attack of the 75 occurs. This is when I find AA. The survivors of this sudden and unknown ammonia spike (The tank had been fine for months) move into the 29 gallon. We clean up and prepare the 75 gallon and get.. DUHDUHD OSCARS!!!

Enter 10 gallon #2, 20 gallon #1. 10 gallon has guppies to feed the oscars. But they don't work out, too slow to breed IMO. This tank is eventually scrapped (Still empty, backup tank). 20 gallon #1 was gonna be shelly cichlids, never happened though. The old 10 gallon now lives in the 29 gallon again, so its empty and recieves one fancy goldfish my wife liked. Goldfish grows and moves to the 20 gallon that was for the shellies. 10 gallons both empty now. Arrives 20 gallon #2: CONVICT breeding time, let's feed those oscars. One of the 10 gallons used for grow-out. I get tired of breeding convicts quickly, they make a LOT of babies. 75 gallon and 90 gallon switch.. Oscars now in 90, cichlids now in 75. Convicts move in with Oscars. 90 gallon #2 arrives, planted community tank, 29 gallon moves into 90 #2. Goldfish move into the 29 gallon. 20 gallons and 10 gallons all empty now.

55 gallon arrives. Cichlid survivors of my horrible newbie choices move in, its the few, the proud, the "Those that survived incompatible species choices of a newbie choosing from the Assorted tank" cichlids. They're doing well now though! Into the 75 gallon goes 13 Tropheus "Mawsa" that I bought from an AA forum member.

Two weeks ago a 20 gallon was resurrected for the wife and now has an Angel and 3 cories.

And now we arrive at the current state of my signature.

Sorry it was just fun to type all that :p

MTS is highly contagious. I have a 10 gal with a betta and an oto. I'm planning on getting a 55 gal soon, and then use the 10 gal for a QT. The hardest part for me is going to be waiting until the new tank is cycled before I get more fish.

But the planning stage will be loads of fun. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom