I wanna get Rocky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HyperFerret

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there.

Okay, I have an idea but I need a little help to make sure I do this correctly. I took a collection of stones from Lake Erie and brought them home with me. Basically, I gathered a wee bit of "home-home" and carried them to what I now call home.

Anywho, I would love to place these stones in my fish tanks. I've been told to do this properly I am to: boil stones, drain and let dry, boil again, repeat entire process till water boils clear. Can anyone support this theory? I would appreciate anyone's help or oppionion!

I was told to drop some vinegar on them and if it fizzes, then they shouldn't go in.

I boiled mine once, but it was for quite a while. I didn't want anything growing in there. If they are from a lake, I would think the longer the better. Mine were from a bluff.

You can make the vinegar test first. Then scrab them real good and boil them once or tiwce. I don't know how porous they are so if they are not very porous you should be fine with not boiling them over and over again.

That with the water coming out clear I can only imagine that with driftwood, because they contain tanins that discolor the water.

lovemybarbs said:
I was told to drop some vinegar on them and if it fizzes, then they shouldn't go in.

I boiled mine once, but it was for quite a while. I didn't want anything growing in there. If they are from a lake, I would think the longer the better. Mine were from a bluff.
the vinegar will only tell you if you have Calcium Carbonate, i.e. either limestone or a sedimentary rock that used limestone as a glue, these would raise you hardness and your ph. my advise as a geologist and science teacher, boil them like your said, but only use rocks like granite, basalt or slate. as a science teacher I know you payed attention in your earth science class and can easily identify these rocks by sight :wink:

I appreciate all the feed back! JDogg I am curious to know why you suggest that I only use granite, basalt, or slate? Also, yes, I am able to identify different rocks. Though, the only reason being is that my father was an avid rock collector. :)

Back
Top Bottom