i want a gourami..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Elizabeth

Aquarium Advice Regular
i saw a golden gourami at the LFS, can i place it in my 10gal tank with my ryukins? will it attack my golfish? help... :?

Goldfish are cold water fish and gourami are more tropical

gouramis are semi aggressive and your goldie in a 10gal is pushing the bio load as is

=o)

thanks guys.. yeah that's a good idea fearless, i think i'll just buy a new tank, my friend is selling her 20gal, how many gouramis can i put in it? :)

Depends on the type of gourami. Dwarfs get up to 2-3 inches. The regular type of gouramis get to about 4-5 inches I believe. I've got two dwarfs in my 10 gallon with a couple of guppies, and cories. The 1 inch per gallon rule is pretty good, give or take and inch or two. My dwarf gouramis don't poop much...then again I only feed once a day. Twice if I give some bloodworms as treats. :) Oh, don't forget to keep the temp around 72-82 farenheit for these guys.

Depends on the type of gourami. Dwarfs get up to 2-3 inches. The regular type of gouramis get to about 4-5 inches I believe. I've got two dwarfs in my 10 gallon with a couple of guppies, and cories. The 1 inch per gallon rule is pretty good, give or take and inch or two. My dwarf gouramis don't poop much...then again I only feed once a day. Twice if I give some bloodworms as treats. Oh, don't forget to keep the temp around 72-82 farenheit for these guys.

actually, you need to take in to account temeperment with these guys so technically the 1 inch rule does not apply. I beleive the dwarfs are less aggressive, but the larger ones do get territorial when they become full grown. In a twenty gallon, I'd put maybe 3 drawrfs or ONE large gourami, just to make sure aggression is kept down.

I agree, with Gouramies you need to be more concerned about temperment than size. I would suggest that you stock the other fish first. After you are totally done then you can add your Gouramies, all of them at the same time. And most importantly, all female Gouramies. In a tank this small, a male Gourami will be a nightmare to the other Gouramies, unless you go for dwarf species, which are more difficult to keep. By far the most important thing which i can not emphasize enough is that you need to buy only females.

ok, thanks guys... if you have more infos about how to take care of them or you have some really good tips, please post it here...

I've got two dwarfs. One I've had for two months and one I've had for two days. I think I know what MarkLehr is talking about. The new guy kept getting bossed around by the other one...tail nipping and such. However this lasted only a day or so and they are now getting along swimmingly. :)

BTW, anyone ever have a dwarf gourami with very large lips? The new dwarf gourami (powder blue) looks like he's had collagen injected into his lips.

Hi Aquazen,
My neon blue dwarf gourami has the "puffy" lips too! At first I thought something was wrong....but after several months of watching him, I think it's a perfectly normal thing. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom