I want to add some plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I feel that if I add some live plants to my 40 gallon bow front it would feel more natural for my bichir and leaf fish. Any suggestions

I have the regular lights that came with my tank. There pretty bright as they light up half of my living room. And he is a Albino bichir

I would say you're at low light for your plant selection. While he's still small before he outgrows the tank you should be able to select quite a few different plants.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

After about 6 months or so when he is getting too big for the tank you will have a harder time selecting plants just because of his size and the potential for easily tearing them up. I would say heavy rooting plants such as crypts would be your best choice at that point.

I would say you're at low light for your plant selection. While he's still small before he outgrows the tank you should be able to select quite a few different plants.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

After about 6 months or so when he is getting too big for the tank you will have a harder time selecting plants just because of his size and the potential for easily tearing them up. I would say heavy rooting plants such as crypts would be your best choice at that point.

First thanks for the advise I'll looking to crypts. Supposedly he's an albino bichir and won't get over 8 inches so I would assume that would be good for a 40 bow front as the "bow" in the tank gives him quite some room to turn

*shrug* I can't really comment on how large he is supposed to get. I am just going by what Live aquaria is telling me about his size. It'd be neat if they did only get to 8 inches although it would still would be a little too big for what I keep in my tank.

As he gets bigger get thick pieces of wisteria but get with the roots so it plants quickly also get some narrow or broad leaf amazon swords I have a narrow leaf that a 9"cat fish hides under when it hunts I love amazon swords

Java moss is awesome same with moss balls loved them in my tank till my crawfish tore it apart

Back
Top Bottom