I want to start a halfbeak tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
does anyone own any half beaks? I was just wanting some general info on them. i saw them one time at my lfs but never since then and the employees knew nothing about them they had just been an opportunity buy. Would it be ok to put them in a guppy breeding tank or would they eat the guppy fry? Also do they like to school? and what ratio of male to females should i buy if or when i ever find them again? thanks
ANDRA

Ahoyhoy! Yup, I'm the one with the halfbeaks. Don't think anybody else on AA has them presently (Fruitbat had them). They're really great. I think there are at least 2 species (not an expert), and I've got Dermogenys pusillus, 2" max, and very cute. I love these guys.

They are moderately hardy, but often don't accept flake food. Mine obviously had been fed flake at the store, bcz they take flake. They LOVE live brineshrimp and blackworms.

Water should be clean, and with a pH between 7 and 8. Accordingly, KH should be moderate. Not much else to say. They really don't need a large aquarium, and shorter aquariums are better, as they tend to favor the surface and the few inches below it. A good tank for that would be a 30 Gallon breeder, or a 20 Long.

Back
Top Bottom