I was wondering what can be put in a 2.5 gal tank with a male Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kstauch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering what can be put in a 2.5 gal tank with a male Betta

I have ghost shrimp with my betta..maybe some ramshorns snails..and plants!

Shrimp or African Dwarf Frogs. You just need to stay on top of the water quality!

I would not go with the African Dwarf Frog, I have had experience with this, and I found the frog eating my Betta. So I would watch for that! Snails could work though!

Tabathalouisee said:
I would not go with the African Dwarf Frog, I have had experience with this, and I found the frog eating my Betta. So I would watch for that! Snails could work though!

There is no way a ADF can eat a betta, unless you're talking about fry or extremely young betta! You my friend, had a african clawed frog, which grow to bullfrog size and have an appetite to match

There is no way a ADF can eat a betta, unless you're talking about fry or extremely young betta! You my friend, had a african clawed frog, which grow to bullfrog size and have an appetite to match
yeah, kind of having trouble picturing that...:blink:
Anyway, I would only go snails. I had some ADFs for a while. They were really small, and the betta killed them. ADFs will either be picked on, eaten, or killed by a betta (as will shrimp most of the time). If you upgrade to a 5.5 gallon and put in a LOT of hiding spots you could put in a pair of ADFs, but they would hide all of the time, and you would most likely never see them...so that is pointless. Plus they would be scared all the time.
If you are going to put anything at all in that tank, it would be a live plant potentially. A snail, much less a pair, would be very cramped in something like that. I usually keep my bettas in 5 gallon tanks and they are very happy. If you have any other tanks, ditch the 2.5 and use it as a quarantine tank for small fish, upgrade to a 5 gallon and put in a few snails with your betta. Or you could turn it into an aqua scape (is that what you would call it). Put in some live plants and it would be a cute little desktop display. Basically, nothing but a single betta would be happy in a tank that small, and your betta will be even more lively if you put him in a 5...just saying...

ADF's can rip a betta to shreds. No doubt about it. I'd consider 5 gals the bare minimum for ADF's. 10 is better.

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
try a neon tetra or black neon tetra... pushing it still... but if u have your head dead set on something one of them would be "ok"

Neon tetras need a 10g at minimum and the betta would be too aggressive in a tank that small. Black neon tetras get a little bigger, so they need a 15g

Bettaluv said:
yeah, kind of having trouble picturing that...:blink:
Anyway, I would only go snails. I had some ADFs for a while. They were really small, and the betta killed them. ADFs will either be picked on, eaten, or killed by a betta (as will shrimp most of the time). If you upgrade to a 5.5 gallon and put in a LOT of hiding spots you could put in a pair of ADFs, but they would hide all of the time, and you would most likely never see them...so that is pointless. Plus they would be scared all the time.
If you are going to put anything at all in that tank, it would be a live plant potentially. A snail, much less a pair, would be very cramped in something like that. I usually keep my bettas in 5 gallon tanks and they are very happy. If you have any other tanks, ditch the 2.5 and use it as a quarantine tank for small fish, upgrade to a 5 gallon and put in a few snails with your betta. Or you could turn it into an aqua scape (is that what you would call it). Put in some live plants and it would be a cute little desktop display. Basically, nothing but a single betta would be happy in a tank that small, and your betta will be even more lively if you put him in a 5...just saying...

A pair of snails would be perfectly happy in a 2.5. There are other nano species that would be happy in a tank that size. For example, least killifish.

My Betta did not like the snail at all. The snail died. I have decided that my Betta will only be with a live plant and some shrimp.

it is very possible for a ADF to kill a betta, I found the frog with my bettas fin sticking out of its mouth.

Tabathalouisee said:
it is very possible for a ADF to kill a betta, I found the frog with my bettas fin sticking out of its mouth.

You must have had a clawed frog, dwarf frogs are not nearly large enough to swallow a betta whole... Fin nipping I can understand, but not actually ingesting a fish of that size

I have a 10g that I have divided equally. On each side is 2 African dwarf frogs and a betta (one side male the other side female). Before the female there was another male that died (not because of the frogs). When I first put the frogs in, one betta (male) swam up to each and looked at them and hasn't acknowledged them since. The other (the male that died) let them know he was boss by pushing them around a bit, maybe 5 min or so then didn't bother them again. When I added the female she didn't even look at them. My bettas and frogs are all VERY active and live together well. I am thinking of getting some adf for my daughters 5g betta tank too!
If you could upgrade to a 5g I would highly recommend an adf or 2! My experience with the 2 species had been fun!

I have successfully kept ghost shrimp with one of my bettas. They are really good to have around because they will clean up and eat any food missed by the betta. Don't get too many though b/c they are territorial. One or two should be OK.

I also keep a horned nerite snail with a betta. They look cool and stay smaller than other nerite snails. I havent had a problem with the betta tearing fins or anything, but that might be possible. Also, I think a nerite snail might not have enough to eat in a small 2.5 gal tank, so if you decide to get a nerite you might want to supplement its diet with veggies or algae wafers or something.

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
try a neon tetra or black neon tetra... pushing it still... but if u have your head dead set on something one of them would be "ok"

That is not good advice
Most/All tetras need a school of 6 or more fish
Neons and black neons need a 20 gallon tank or larger
Maybe a snail would work
However your betta really needs a 5 gallon or larger tank

Back
Top Bottom