Ich!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Added new fish into my aquarium a week ago and I just noticed ich spots on my neons and some of my black widows the maximum spots on a fish is 3 I have added 15mls as per bottle instructions of tetra medica contra spot and I have turned the heater up and I want 2 add salt but I'm not sure how much 2 add
I do not have live plants

I have 6 black widows
8 neons
3 silver tips
A betta
And a glass cat

My tank is 16 gallons

You do not have to add salt to treat ich. You could've used the heat method without meds and cured this. I've never heard of the medication you're using so can't comment on it.

Your tank is overstocked, you're going to continue to have problems if you don't rehome about half of your fish.

Bettas are solitary fish and prefer no tankmates. There is the exception, but it depends entrely on the personality of the adult betta.

The black widow/black skirt tetra need at least a 20 gallon, but 30 is better. My husband had 6 in a 26 gallon and they outgrew the tank.

The silver tip tetra requires a school of at least 6, 8 is better. All tetras have the same school requirements.

The glass catfish requires at least 30 gallons and should be kept in a school of 6.

In my opinion, you should rehome the glass catfish, the black widow/black skirt tetras and you should choose between the neons and the silver tips.

I know I have a 35 gallon tank cycling at the moment that every1 will be placed in and all will have schools of six my Bette is very passive and likes the company pls can we stick 2 the problem at hand

Raise the heat slowly to 86 F

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from substrate

Maintain this method for at least a week after the last spot has been seen on a fish, 2 weeks is better

Back
Top Bottom