Ich has begun...help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slipperysalmon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi- I'm a newbie...my daughter has a little 5 gal tank with two fantail goldfish in her bedroom. It does not have a heater. I noticed this morning that the fish have tiny salt grain-like spots on them. I am familiar with the chemicals in ich treatments, and will not be using them, especially in her room.

Anybody have any advice on what to do?:(

slipperysalmon said:
Hi- I'm a newbie...my daughter has a little 5 gal tank with two fantail goldfish in her bedroom. It does not have a heater. I noticed this morning that the fish have tiny salt grain-like spots on them. I am familiar with the chemicals in ich treatments, and will not be using them, especially in her room.

Anybody have any advice on what to do?:(

First off... Those goldfish need at least a 30 gallon tank, with a filter. Read the link in my sig on fishless cycling for details on setting it up. As for the ich... Go out and buy some API aquarium salt and a heater, heat the water to 86 degrees, and drop in one tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water.

You can treat it with freshwater aquarium salt and heat (I think you'd need the tank to come to 86 degrees) but I don't know how quick or effective it is. I think if you look in the articles section you can find them.

I also know some Ich treatments are different from others, though that's a case of looking at the individual med's and figuring out what they are.

Either way, I know an imediate, major water change is in order. HOpefully someone more knowledgable than me answers you soon... I mostly replied with the basics cause I know how panicked you can get when something starts going wrong and no one see's you right away.

I don't understand why you don't want to use the chemical treatments.

But you can do as suggested above. Get a heater and increase the temperature up to 86 degrees. Keep it high for at least one week. The ich parasite will go to the full cycle and die. Salt will help also.

Once you cure them, yo need to upgrade your tank. Goldfish generate a lot of waste, and will require a bigger tank with a filter. If not, you will be having constant problems. Because the fish will be having issues due to the higher levels of ammonia in the water.

I can understand not using chemicals for your fish, especially in a child's room if they are very young. I don't like the use of chemicals either. The "known to the state of California to cause cancer" statements are a bit disconcerting. (That and a bit of Melafix in the eye is bothersome)

I believe shadoefox is correct. Aquarium salt and a bit of heat should clear it right up. If you look around AA there are quite a few threads that discuss the treatment of Ich.

I like air stones simply for aesthetic value, but I also believe that my goldfish do better with them anyway. With their bio-load, I think it's good to have one...just my opinion though.

I agree that your tank is too small for goldies and IMO can possibly contribute to health issues like fungus and parasites (ick). I prefer using Quick Cure for ick and have had very good results with it. Heat/salt works according to people that have tried it, but you'll need a heater obviously. Of course then you're mixing electricity inside water which is something to consider in your childs room.

As for Tayeloquin's comment that "chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer" statement being a bit disconcerting? Almost everything has that label on it in CA, including buildings in SF that I work in sometimes and I think Ocean Beach had signs with it before the sewage plant was built lol.

Every cell phone and electronic device I've purchased in recent years has come with that label.

Back
Top Bottom