ich on fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joker69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 pangasius hi fins and the have ich on them (white spots). i want to use anti ich products, but must i quarantine them or can i just pour it in the tank. there are other fish in the tank so i dont know if they would be affected by the anti ich product. ps i dont have another tank to quarantine and no heater to put in a large container. can they go in a cold water quarantine? :confused:

If there are any fish in a tank with ich then the entire tank is infected. To safely treat the tank without using meds raise the temperature of the tank by 1 - 2 degrees per hour until it hits 86 degrees then keep the temperature this high for approximately 10 days or 3 days after there is no longer any sign of ich on any of the fish. This is by far the most widely accepted and safe treatment out there for fish and can be used on just about any tropical fish.

If you choose this route just be sure to increase aeration by either dropping the water level by a few inches allowing a HOB filter to splash more or you can use an airstone. Higher temperature in the water holds less oxygen so it is better to increase aeration rather than risk a death from suffocation.

Take a look at this link for some reading on the topic.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

If there are any fish in a tank with ich then the entire tank is infected. To safely treat the tank without using meds raise the temperature of the tank by 1 - 2 degrees per hour until it hits 86 degrees then keep the temperature this high for approximately 10 days or 3 days after there is no longer any sign of ich on any of the fish. This is by far the most widely accepted and safe treatment out there for fish and can be used on just about any tropical fish.

If you choose this route just be sure to increase aeration by either dropping the water level by a few inches allowing a HOB filter to splash more or you can use an airstone. Higher temperature in the water holds less oxygen so it is better to increase aeration rather than risk a death from suffocation.

Take a look at this link for some reading on the topic.

Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

my heater is only marked in Celsius. how many is that and wont the fish die of the high teprature

Also to add,
If you decide on the heat method, be very careful of adding any medication as well. That will reduce oxygen even more.

Cranking up the temperature won't necessarily treat ich, it will indeed speed up the process. U still need to use meds to kill the parasite. Make a research, scaleless fish do not tolerate meds too well... Kordon Rid Ich Plus is a good treatment.
And yes, you will have to treat the whole tank.

Cranking up the temperature won't necessarily treat ich, it will indeed speed up the process. U still need to use meds to kill the parasite. Make a research, scaleless fish do not tolerate meds too well... Kordon Rid Ich Plus is a good treatment.
And yes, you will have to treat the whole tank.

Ich can't reproduce at 86 degrees so in effect it dies out. It's a tried and true method of treating ich. The link I provided has the details on it.

Ich can't reproduce at 86 degrees so in effect it dies out. It's a tried and true method of treating ich. The link I provided has the details on it.
I cranked my temp up to 88 because unfortunately I had never encountered a heat resistant strain before. This still didn't kill them for a good week. These are monsters to kill, so meds would be necessary. Try the heat first and if it doesn't work (assuming your fish are hardy and theyre still alive), do meds.

So far I've had success with the heat method. It seems to work best if water quality is good and fish are not stressed for another reason eg being nipped by other fish.

If fish are wounded or severely stressed, chance of columnarus more likely in heated water.

ok guys so i only did the salt method and my 1 pangasius hi fin is already cured over night. stil waiting for the other one. i used plain NaCl (tablesalt) and ontly 1/4 of a tea spoon. i had ich before on my 15cm pangasius indecent shark and i used salt on him too. treating ich is actually easy or am i just lucky lol :thanks:

1/4 of a teaspoon in the tank? That's such an insignificant amount that it won't have treated the entire tank. Keep an eye out for more.

Back
Top Bottom