Ich problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Aquaforce

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been battling ich since I have gotten my angels and now seems to be spreading should I keep using paraguard or something else? I have a lot of live plants in my tank so am not really down for medications that are harsh on other elements other than the problem I'm trying to cure 1490167967135.jpg

Attachments

• 1490167967135.jpg
    1490167967135.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 123
How long have you been treating for Ich? Paraguard usually works as it is actual medication, not the "snake oil" that places like the box stores try to sell you.

Ok I don't know your situation so look up ich treatments. Raising temp to 86 usually will cure ich without meds. But I think you are not supposed to do both, meds and raising temp. But since the ich is getting worse you might consider changing what you are doing. Good luck.

Raising temp to 86 for 2 weeks. If you do that be sure you raise it slowly and use a bubbler to increase oxygen in tank.

When you turn up the temperature, it speeds up the ich life cycle. I never had any luck with using heat to kill ich, and salt will not kill ich. But turn up the temperature slowly. How long have you been treating?

When you turn up the temperature, it speeds up the ich life cycle. I never had any luck with using heat to kill ich, and salt will not kill ich. But turn up the temperature slowly. How long have you been treating?
Been treating on and off tends to effect the oldest angel I have, treat it whenever I see symptoms and I'm about to finish the first bottle I bought in jan-feb

Been treating on and off tends to effect the oldest angel I have, treat it whenever I see symptoms and I'm about to finish the first bottle I bought in jan-feb

Paraguard is safe for angels. If you are going to treat for rich, don't do it on and off. It can create a super-bug resistant for medication. Treat faithfully for 3-4 weeks and at a higher temperature, with an air stone as any temperature above 80-82 drastically reduces oxygen in the water. Some strands of ich can survive temperatures over 90 degrees so that is why I don't trust just heat. Seachem makes good medications (they make Paraguard), and I believe Metroplex is another good mediation you can mix with food, but wait on that until you have treated with paraguard for a full month. Hang in there!

Okay thank you guys, I can just increase the temp along with treating with paraguard or should I wait until the temp warms up

Hey there guys that one month is almost up! There's not really much improvement at all, seems like it isn't an ich problem but an internal parasite since they poop red or clear?? Have been planning on changing the water flow as well to help optimize the flow through out the tank.

Hey there guys that one month is almost up! There's not really much improvement at all, seems like it isn't an ich problem but an internal parasite since they poop red or clear?? Have been planning on changing the water flow as well to help optimize the flow through out the tank.
One month and no recovery. That's strange. Probably not ich then. By the way how often you do water changes, your fish eating good?, swimming normally?

Please feed them ginger and garlic powder mixed in there diet. It helps a lot. Increase fish immune system. Works for me every time for ich outbreak.

Mostly once a week, sometimes two times a week, think it has to do with the new water flow setup I've been trying out... don't really like it, was thinking of connecting two of my canister filters together in series, both the same brand and model, each of them have two trays, planning on doing all the mechanical filtration in one and all of the biological media in the other one. Insights on this method?

I'm no fish doctor but a product containing malachite green has been used for ich control since forever. It will knock the ich spots off quick. It works on a number of other parasites and fungal infections. It will stain your aquarium sealant blue for awhile, and your hands, or anything else it touches. :)

I'm no fish doctor but a product containing malachite green has been used for ich control since forever. It will knock the ich spots off quick. It works on a number of other parasites and fungal infections. It will stain your aquarium sealant blue for awhile, and your hands, or anything else it touches. :)
But the effects on the live plants?

Was wondering what symptoms you are seeing? Are they eating well, etc.

Clear poop and no weight loss or anything else might just be the equivalent of sore tummy from treatments. Could still be something internal but worth listing everything you are seeing wrong with them, checking water chemistry, etc.

Back
Top Bottom