ID and help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitacrux

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone tell me what this is? It is on my decor and bubble wall but the water is clear and it doesnt grow on glass. 55 gal tank with sand only inhabitants are two cichlids and a peacock eel. Fluval 405 filter.

Attachments

• image-1389266335.jpg
    image-1389266335.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 60
  • image-3325231276.jpg
    image-3325231276.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 58
Looks like brown algae which are diatoms and are common in newer tanks. Theres silica in the tank water which is the nutrient diatoms use to form silica shells. Generally they go away on their own as the silica content in the water is removed by PWC's. However some tap water like groundwater can contain silica so some tanks constantly have a diatom issue.

Silica can also be rubbed of easily .. see the link below for more info
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Okay thanks! Strange I didn't have it when I started when I started my 29 gal but my pleco might have just munched it all.

Okay thanks! Strange I didn't have it when I started when I started my 29 gal but my pleco might have just munched it all.

Yeah .. I'd say your pleco probably had a field day with it. I don't have any bottom feeders etc ... except for my red-tail shark but it's not a Brown Algae fan.

BA is harmless to fish so no worries there, but it can become unsightly depending on your deco and substrate. I've had it on mine ever since the 2nd month which was March and there's no sign of it going away. I've gotten used to it and the fish could care less.

Back
Top Bottom