Id my worm???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscarchic11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found this guy swimming in the water of my tank... so i scooped him out, he is a lil over al inch when stretched out, and is white. Water params are all fine, tank has been up a month or so and was cycled using sand from my old tank. Has MTS snails, ramshorn snails, 5 feeder gups, an angel, and a banjo catfish as well as shrimp. All fish and snails are acting normal.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121022_010759.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121022_010759.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 90
Sounds to me that it could be Detritus Worms. Don't panic they are harmless. What you have to do is cut back on feedings as this is a major food source and perform a good vac of the substrate to suck the little buggers out of the tank. I have had them once before and it is not hard getting rid of them.
Good Luck!

Ok... thanx for the worm help... but i noticed these dots 2day 2...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121022_225918.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121022_225918.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 71
  • ForumRunner_20121022_225932.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121022_225932.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 74
ok... so ive seen 1 more worm, and when looking closely to the glass in my tank there are tons of tiny white worms, smaller than the first. ill try to get a pic. if anyone could help i would really appreciate it! freaking out cause i have a baby angel in that tank as well as my banjo catfish, and dont want them to get sick. thanx.

I agree with butterfly, they look like detritus worms to me, they are harmless if anything your fish will eat them but they won't cause any bad effects, just think of them as big micro worms that you feed to baby fry.

Here is a pic. Im prob just being paranoid, but this is my first angel, and ive wanted one for years.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121023_192821.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121023_192821.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 64
If they are small worms I would say the small ones are planaria worms, they are also harmless to fish but dangerous to fish eggs if you are breeding, best way to get rid of them is a really good vacuum of the gravel and you must be over feeding because that's the only time you get these types of worms, but don't panic your fish are perfectly safe :)

Shane87 said:
If they are small worms I would say the small ones are planaria worms,

It's not always easy to tell the difference between the two because of how small both of these types of worms are but Planaria will have more of a flat appearance and not as common as the Detritus because they do not feed off of the decomposing matter like the Detritus does.
There is often allot of confusion and misinformation about the differences between the two. Many are quick to jump to the conclusion that it's a Planaria infestation which in fact it's not.

Back
Top Bottom