ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikid88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was at lfs today, and among other things, I bought some shrimp for the shrimp tank. When acclimating, I noticed this little guy in the bag. Didn't pay for him, and I guess the guy didn't notice, or didn't care.
So I said whatever, and put him in with tinwini danios and cpds, and tetras.

It's probably something common, there wasn't a name/price on the tank for him, just all the shrimps and a few smaller fish (which I know the names of)

He chases the smaller danios a lot. He is about 1", slightly bigger than my pencilfish, who he also chases.

His body shape and design is similar to the pencil fish (except without the gold stripe), fins like most danios except a round tail fin and a mouth like a livebearer (guppy like).

He has a neon blue ring around his eyes, aswell as some other streaks of baby blue, and a red edge on his tail.
(The photos kind of blend small areas of colour together)

Any ideas?

I'm thinking about putting him in the main tank if there's any chance of him growing even to like 1.5", and let the danios live in peace.

Forgot the pics lol

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 89
Noo but a very similar body and fin shape. Mine has a full black stripe like the minnow, but also a half stripe starting on the stomach. The minnow also doesn't have any blue around it's eyes or head, or red on it's tail.

OK. I am thinking its either a similar variety of top minnow or else a killifish of some sort. I am still looking. :)

Hmm.. again very similar but not it... killifish opens a broad range though, as the body shape matches 90%, but the colours don't.
There's too much red on the tail, and it also lacks the neon blue lines through his head and around his eyes.

His gill plates look like 1 big round scale, bronze in colour, very shiny compared to the rest of the body. Looks like ears.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm going to indulge in a long list of killifish.
Are killis usually as aggressive as this guy is? He's not relentless with chasing, but just doesn't like anything near him.

It depends on the species. Some of them are pretty feisty and some are really mild. It such a brood group, so its hard to make too many generalities.
Let us know if you figure it out. I didn't see anything that looked any closer than the bluefin when I looked. It might be hard for you to figure out too if its a juvenile.

Back
Top Bottom