Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

ID this Pleco Please

I have 4 of these little plecos in my 115G and was wondering if anyone could ID them for me. Lost their ID from the LFS where I got them.

Thanks for any responses.....

Cheers,
Clare

Old 09-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post
I have 4 of these little plecos in my 115G and was wondering if anyone could ID them for me. Lost their ID from the LFS where I got them.

Thanks for any responses.....

Cheers,
Clare
Could possibly be..an LO24, LO14 or an L144

Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Calico color variant of the common bristlenose pleco. Little too much brown pigment for a super red, though if the pleco is small it won't be as apparent after it's fully grown.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When you find out let us know, they're pretty cool.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, Toddnbecka - I am going to give the LFS a call tomorrow to see if they recall the variant....cannot find much on the web about the red coloring.
I know it is not going to be L144 - these 4 are not long fins/I have about 40 of those L144 babies right now as my pair recently spawned. They also do not look anything at all like L014 or L024 to me - will keep trying to figure them out as they grow, I guess. Thanks all for the help and I will post if I get the info from the LFS....Thanks tons!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like possibly a rhino pleco...
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's an old pic of a super red BN I received from Germany last year. One of 8 unsexed juvies that cost me $400, and this one really should have been culled rather than sold:

Fortunately the rest looked better, and I did have some reasonably good breeding stock after the 6m/2f matured.

Here's a couple pics of better quality super reds:

Here are a few pics of mostly red calico BN juvies:

All the same species as the more common brown or albino BN, just selectively bred color variants. Here are a pair that are producing brown, albino, calico, and even a few super red fry now:

Old 09-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks again, Toddnbecka....I paid $25 each for these guys at @ 2 inches about 4 months ago - they all look about the same, though two of them are less "mottled" than the other 2.

My LFS knows I like new/different stock so perhaps they are super reds. I will find out today and post Here's a few new pics - my tank is planted, so catching them in the open is hard LOL

More soon!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I spoke to the LFS and they did confirm that these four little guys are indeed blue eyed red bristlenose plecos - mystery solved! Thanks to all who responded.....guess I will have to keep a closer eye on them and hope that at least one of them is a male! They are growing well and are 2X the size they were when I got them a few months back so hopefully soon we will see some bristles Meanwhile, I have a spawn of 30-40 albino long fins to tend to!

Tags
pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com