id this puffer :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oops here it is haha
img_2681098_0_82c806e7738eeb7f4ba5685aa2a0f77d.jpg

I wouldn't mind havin that sucker in my tank! Too bad I know nothing about it lol. Have you tried googling it?

i tried googling the common name and most of them didn't look like it. thanks severum mama, i knew you would be the one to answer :) is that profile accurate? it says 20 gallons for one, because they are so inactive. i actually thought it was a rock at first, because it wasn't moving at all. do you know if thats a good price? my girlfriend really liked it too, because it just sat there watching us....very interesting

i tried googling the common name and most of them didn't look like it. thanks severum mama, i knew you would be the one to answer :) is that profile accurate? it says 20 gallons for one, because they are so inactive. i actually thought it was a rock at first, because it wasn't moving at all. do you know if thats a good price? my girlfriend really liked it too, because it just sat there watching us....very interesting

I could make up an answer, but it would be just that... I have no personal experience with this species and have never even seen one of these fish in person. I will say that wetwebmedia has been a reliable source of information for me over the years. The only puffers I have experience with are the dwarf pea puffers and my new A modestus (have had for about 6-8 weeks)... so I am far from a puffer expert.

I have no idea what would be a fair price for this puffer. I'm not familiar with its wholesale cost.

I would say, if you decide to try it, remember to give it plenty of sand, as the article says it likes to bury itself. The article says it is aggressive, so it sounds like you would have a species tank.

okay thank you for all of your help :) I've got a few extra tanks laying around, do you think a 29 with a deep sand bed would work better than a 20 long? I've also got a dwarf puffer, but i would love to have something bigger, without needing a massive tank. puffers are great ;)

It's only speculation, but it seems that the 29 gallon would be better than the 20 long because of the difference in water volume even though the footprint is the same. Puffs can be messy eaters so that could potentially mean your tank would be a little more forgiving in terms of water quality. If you have a canister filter I would suggest using it over a HOB. I use a Rena XP3 on my 40 long puffer tank and it is doing a great job with my puffs so far. You could use a smaller canister for one fish in a smaller tank, obviously.

Before you make up your mind on whether or not to go for it, I would suggest doing some research into puffer teeth trimming. I have not yet had to do this with mine, but the species I keep seems to be notorious for needing trimming even when feeding primarily snails. Some species are worse than others about needing teeth trimming, and I'm not experienced enough to know which ones.

good idea, thank you. i don't have any experience grinding puffers' teeth, as all i have owned is a dwarf puffer. i will definitely be doing more research to decide if i go through with it :)

If you go to home on that website and scroll down you'll find a story about someone with a fahaka puffer and all the worms and ick problems and her puffer, and wallet, still made it! Pretty cool I think. Also thanks to this thread I may be falling in love with that puffer, my 75 gallon may just have to have one of them in it!

I have had allot of puffers they are by far my favorite fish but I have never had Suvatti inactive fish kind of bore me. But some info I do know, obviously no tank mates, they do best in sand substrate because the like to bury them selves. You don't have to clip the teeth is you feed them crunchy food. Most puffer keepers breed snails as a cheep source of crunchy food. Cray fish are another good source. Get them from a bait shop they are much cheaper the a LFS.

Either the 20 or 29 would be fine. They really only eat when they move.

thepufferforum.com has a bunch of people that own Suvatti. But beware there are a bunch of tank size elitist on that site so I don't like referring people there but they do have some good info.

If you go to home on that website and scroll down you'll find a story about someone with a fahaka puffer and all the worms and ick problems and her puffer, and wallet, still made it! Pretty cool I think. Also thanks to this thread I may be falling in love with that puffer, my 75 gallon may just have to have one of them in it!

I would put it in a smaller tank. In a 75 you will be looking at an empty box of water. Arrowheads will eat all tank mates. And when there is nothing elase in the tank they are really really in active. I got rid of my fahaka because it was so boring just sitting there and Arrowheads are even less active. Good puffers for the 75 are Green spotted puffers or figure 8's very active. if you want a challenge try a fugu its a cold water puffer

From what I understand, you could also keep a group of SA puffers in a 75. I've been wanting to try this in a 4x2x2 120 gallon for some time now.

From what I understand, you could also keep a group of SA puffers in a 75. I've been wanting to try this in a 4x2x2 120 gallon for some time now.

That is true but I never recommend them as they are challenge for even the most experienced puffer keeper. There teeth grow much faster then any other puffer needing crunchy food every day and teeth trimming they do best in larger groups and are very very sensitive to change in water conditions. Some dedicated puffer keepers have made it work but most fail, including myself.

If you have a dedicated 120 an are willing to put in the time it might just work.

I'm going to have to get good at the trimming anyway because of my A. modestus. It would be a dedicated 120. I can't get these fish at the moment so just an idea I've been toying with.

you should be able to keep your A. modestus teeth short by feeding crunchy food. I have actually never had to trim any of my puffers teeth with the exception of the SAs. Whish I still had my avacado puffer but he was a nasty little buggar and I didnt have tank dedicated to just him but wow they are pretty.

Suvetti's teeth do not get overgrown, but they still need a steady diet of varied crustaceans. These fish should not be fed daily and always do the 50% weekly water change.

Inactive fish are not for everyone and many people end up selling out their pal.

Back
Top Bottom