ID this tiny predator please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this today for my ill brother and I forgot what it was called lol I believe he said it was a marble goby

Attachments

• image-2835566982.jpg
    image-2835566982.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 106
Marble sleeper - Oxyeleotris marmoratus. They grow well over 2 feet long. Butis butis is a much smaller species (around 6 inches at most), with somewhat different markings - particularly the presence of red to orange spots on the body and fins. (It actually gets its name from these spots - butis is a decorative, circular design woven, embroidered or printed on cloth, and is particularly common in sari fabric.)

Tony

Marble sleeper - Oxyeleotris marmoratus. They grow well over 2 feet long. Butis butis is a much smaller species (around 6 inches at most), with somewhat different markings - particularly the presence of red to orange spots on the body and fins. (It actually gets its name from these spots - butis is a decorative, circular design woven, embroidered or printed on cloth, and is particularly common in sari fabric.)

Tony

wow Huge difference If it is that one ^^^^^ and I think Tony is right. Thats a huge fish. Hope the tank is huge too.

Wait I'm confused as of right now the thing is well less than an inch prolly like half an inch it's barely big enough to eat a baby feeder lol but it is that one in the pic someone posted so does it get 6inches or 2 feet

Wait I'm confused as of right now the thing is well less than an inch prolly like half an inch it's barely big enough to eat a baby feeder lol but it is that one in the pic someone posted so does it get 6inches or 2 feet

well I posted the one that gets like 6" but you said marble goby witch is the one that tony posted that gets 2' so im really not sure either now.

Id trust Tony. It's Tony's job to ID fish....

Anyway, I haven't seen tony posting anything in forever! Welcome back tony (if you left haha)

I should point out that I've spent the last 15 years or so doing research on the classification of sleeper gobies (gudgeons), so I'm pretty confident of the identification.

Tony

Oh, and thanks Sillyfishes. I've been commenting on some marine fish identifications, but haven't had much to do on the freshwater front in a while.

Tony

What I can see the markings you said are not on the fish and it looks identical to the fish in the first link

The link I provided was to Oxyeleotris marmorata (marble goby or sleeper). The coloration I referred to in my message was to the red/orange spots on Butis butis. Sorry if this caused confusion.

Tony

Danget lol I have it in a 10 for right now if I put it in my other tank my catfish will eat it

Back
Top Bottom