ideal Boesemani Rainbow tankmates...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deluxechev

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m considering moving my (4 large)Boesemani Rainbow out of my 60 gallon cichlid tank and into an old 30 tall show tank with the built in Eclipse filtration system. They’re actually doing fine in the tank they’re in now and have been there for 9 months, but I’ve got that old tank sitting there, so I’m thinking of moving the Rainbows back over and starting a nice little community tank for them. Any recommendations on ideal roommates for them in this size tank? I don’t want real messy fish, I’ve got my hands full with the cichlids. I’d like a nice tranquil tank with plants, cause it sure as hell isn’t possible with my cichlids. Don’t get me wrong, I love them! The colors, the digging, the personalities, never a dull moment! But it’s a lot of work! I’m looking for something a little less maintenance this time around.

Maybe a school of tetras and some cories or loaches.
Any community fish you like in particular? What is your tap water's pH?

I have cherry barbs and neon tetras and cardinal tetras with my Boesmani Rainbows. The size contrast makes them look way bigger than they really are. I find it to be a very cool contrast and my rainbows ignore the smaller fish.

Mooooose

You have your pick of hundreds of community fish, its just going to depend on what you like. I would stay small though, maybe two schools of 6 small tetras?

If you get some ottos they will keep your plants & tank walls clean which can be a very good thing & they are little & unobstrusive. They do like to be in groups but 5 will hardly make a dent in your bioload.

Smaller, narrow bodied tetras will work well, or cories, or smaller rainbows, or white clouds, or .... Just start looking around and you will fine something that suits you!

Thanks for the feedback! I’m really liking the cherry barbs and neon tetras. I’m thinking maybe 6 cherry barbs and 8 neon tetras. I’m also thinking one or two more schools would be just right. I’m looking through ottos, cories and loaches. Ottos are the front runner just cause they’ll help clean up around the tank…

I had 3 boesmani's in a 10g with 3 yo-yo loaches and that evened the tank out nicely as the yo-yos basically stayed on the bottom and the rainbows mid to upper.

My boesmani's never bothered or interacted with any of the other fish I've had in with them:

redtail shark, guaramis, dwarf neon rainbows, yo-yos, plecos, platys

Back
Top Bottom