Ideal temp for bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been looking around on the internet trying to find the "ideal" temp for bettas and come up with a huge range....anywhere from 78-95 degrees. What would you all with betta experience say is the best temp for them....ideal best, not fluctuations.

I try to keep my betta tanks at 80 degrees. I use a digital kitchen thermometer to measure the temperature. This thermometer doesn't stay in the tank all the time. I only use it on water change day, and sometimes when I feed the fish I do a quick reading. My latest readings ranged from 80.4 - 81.6. I felt that 81.6 was a bit too warm so I nudged the heater down a bit and I'll get a new reading today.

I would say that 82 degrees is the warmest temperature that the betta should be kept in, barring an ich treatment. I have read that the higher temperatures will speed up the fish's metabolism, possibly to the extent of shortening their life. On the other hand, keeping a betta in 74 degree water will probably lengthen their life span, but they won't be comfortable and happy. I think 80-82 degrees should be your target temperature.

I try to keep my betta tanks at 80 degrees. I use a digital kitchen thermometer to measure the temperature. This thermometer doesn't stay in the tank all the time. I only use it on water change day, and sometimes when I feed the fish I do a quick reading. My latest readings ranged from 80.4 - 81.6. I felt that 81.6 was a bit too warm so I nudged the heater down a bit and I'll get a new reading today.

I would say that 82 degrees is the warmest temperature that the betta should be kept in, barring an ich treatment. I have read that the higher temperatures will speed up the fish's metabolism, possibly to the extent of shortening their life. On the other hand, keeping a betta in 74 degree water will probably lengthen their life span, but they won't be comfortable and happy. I think 80-82 degrees should be your target temperature.

Thanks An t-iasg! How bout where to find small heaters that are not preset....where do I get those?

The smallest heater that I know of that you can set the temperature is the Visitherm Deluxe heater.

It is rated for up to 5 gallons. I have used it safely in a 2 - 2.5 gallon tank. Another type of Visitherm heater, the Stealth, is plastic and not glass. The 25-watt one is rated for up to 8 gallons so it would be too strong for a 2 gallon.

I have used the Hydor flat heater in a one-gallon bowl but I frequently check the temp and unplug it when it's getting too hot. The last time I used that heater was when we moved and my poor betta had to stay in the bowl overnight and the next day.

Actually, I'm using the 25 Watt Visitherm Stealth heater in my 2.5 gallon and haven't had any problems at all. I'd definately recommend it.

what size tank I have a hydor 50 watt that I would sell 10 bucks shipped use a few weeks but went titanium it is adjustable if intrested pm me this was in a 2.5 gallon tank with NO meds added

Actually, I'm using the 25 Watt Visitherm Stealth heater in my 2.5 gallon and haven't had any problems at all. I'd definately recommend it.

That's good to know - I didn't realize that. You must have it horizontally, then?

My temperature readings today were 80.7 and 81.4.

It shouldn't matter if it has a thermostat control, as long as it doesn't stick. The only variable is the calibration which could be off where 80degF is actually 78deg on the dial or similar.

That's good to know - I didn't realize that. You must have it horizontally, then?

That's correct. I actually keep my heaters horizontal at near the substrate in all my aquariums. Easier to hide that way. Also should help with water circulation since the warmer water will rise up the back of the aquarium.

I agree with Deb about the ideal temp, right around 80 degrees. Hydor also makes small submersible 25W heaters that are excellent...they are small enough to fit in a 1 gallon space. It's what I used during our move for Corwin's moving tank and it was very reliable.

Back
Top Bottom