ideal tropical tank temperature?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
for those of you with normal tropical fish, what temperature do you keep your tank at? i just keep mine at 78F

hc8719 said:
for those of you with normal tropical fish, what temperature do you keep your tank at? i just keep mine at 78F
i would say some where around 75-80 would be a good temp to keep your tank at :D

I like 78...I think its the mid point for many tropical fishes, all of them should be fine with this temperature according to the manuals you can find around..

Devilishturtles said:
75-80. But hate to tell you, that your 78F is actually 75-80 as well, with all the flucuation. ;)

ok i think i understand what your saying, but how does that make sense?

It's impossible to keep temperature at one degree forever. It's normal for them to flucuate. So instead of shooting for one specific temperature, I think you are better off shooting for a range to stay within. Temp flucuation is normal.

Devilishturtles said:
It's impossible to keep temperature at one degree forever. It's normal for them to flucuate. So instead of shooting for one specific temperature, I think you are better off shooting for a range to stay within. Temp flucuation is normal.

sure, my tank goes up to 80F in the summer days, and back to 78 at night

I suppose the best temperature is going to be whatever keeps it the most stable in the 75-80 area when you take your house's ambient temp range into consideration.

I try to keep the tanks at 77. I usually have the AC set at 74-75 when I have it on, and when I leave it off the ambient temp doesn't generally get over 78, so the tank stays right around 76.5 - 78.0.

Seems like if I set it much higher than 77, the heaters would just be running constantly in the winter, since I really don't crank the heat up above 70 in the winter. I just usually have a sweatshirt on, and a nice electric blanket.

Does anybody change the temps of their tanks seasonally? Like, let it get in the 79-80 range in the summer if you don't use your AC much, then turn them down to 75 in the winter? Not sure if that would be a good idea, and it probably wouldn't even be worth the hassle for the amount of electricity you'd save.

This may seem obvious, but I would suggest looking at the fish that are being kept in the tank and see what their temperature requirements are. Discus and apistos would do better in warmer water than what is talked about here. I look up my fish on www.fishprofiles.com to see what temperature would be appropriate. My tank with jewel cichlids I keep at 75 deg F while my apisto tanks are kept closer to 80 deg F.

of thats understandable gman, but im saying alot of times you have to compromise for a variety of fish, im just asking people what their temp is, not what mine should be or what theirs should be

Back
Top Bottom