Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishywishywowoo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a 3ft by 2 ft by 1ft tank (can't remember gallon) been running since Jan. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 40. I do weekly 20% pwc. Stock 8 platys and 3 African dwarf frogs. Planted tank. Fed frozen bloodworms, frozenbrine shrimp, flakes and pellets on varying days. I feed about 5 out of 7 days. Occasionally have cooked shelled peas. Anyway, recently noticed that a couple of the platys are spending a lot of the time still at the top of the tank. They aren't moving. Gills more than usual or more than the others. Any idea why.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My tank

Attachments

• 1412972105198.jpg
    1412972105198.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 81
Update. Water tested at LFS ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.0. Now my orange platys have started sort of clamping their tail fin so it more pointy than fan. They are hovering at the top or bottom of the tank but just really still. Fed some shelled crushed peas as I queried constipated as their poop a bit thin and light coloured. The other fish and frogs appear to be fine. I'm doing daily 25% PWC at moment. Any ideas?

It's very hard to say what the trouble is. Symptoms like this might be related to some parasites. Clamped fins indicate discomfort, and are often seen with ammonia burn. Since your parameters seem good, ammonia burn seems unlikely, and it would have affected all the fish.

If you can, set up a small hospital tank and put the sick fish in it. A sponge filter will do nicely, no substrate needed. At least you may stop whatever it is from spreading to the other fish. I have had the good fortune so far never to have any parasitic issues, so I'm just not sure what might be the cause. But to isolate sick fish is always the best idea, in case whatever it is may become contagious.

Back
Top Bottom