Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2003, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Kerrinne Send a message via AIM to Kerrinne
Ideas for a 30 gal +

Alright, next year when I buy a larger tank I have some things I'd like to get suggestions on so I can start looking at what I might want.

1) What size tank? I realize it should be 30 gal plus, but I'm going to have a limited budget. I don't see a $1000 90 gal tank in my future unless someone pays me a million dollars to sleep with them. heh Is there a huge price difference between a 30 and say a 40 or a 55?

2) The aquarium kits or piece meal it? Which is cheaper? Which provides better stuff? Obviously I don't want to buy a kit with an UGF from what I've read. But there are kits out there it seems with the biowheel filters, though not all are HOB ones. Some are built in the lid.

3) What type of fish and how many? I think I would definitely like some mollies (the live bearer thing seems really cool to me), some angel fish, and throw my GAE in there. I think I read that those three are all ok together. How many is too many of those?

4) Finally, when I make this change - would it be ok to add a male betta (my existing one) and a female betta (would have to buy new) to my 10 gal with five tetras?

5) Everyone's tanks look so neatly decorated. Mine (look at my picture gallery) seems empty, fake, and somewhat gaudy. Can I have some advice for assecories please?

My parents keep saying I will burn out on this, because they did. But honestly I don't want any other pets than fish ever again. Even with the water changes et al, they are the easiest pets to care for once you have somewhat of an idea what you're doing. And they are so fascinating! Plus, you don't have to walk them when it's cold outside or scoop nasty litter! LOL

Thanks in advance. I have so many things to ponder, I suppose.

Old 11-08-2003, 12:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL I'm prob the wrong person to discuss decor; I just don't have an eye for it in my tanks. They look more like the bottom of the ocean near a dump LOL

However, I can address some of the other questions.

I prefer to put my tanks together piecemeal. This way I can get the hardware I prefer. I do have one Eclipse tank; a 25g that came with the hood and biowheel filter that I got for sale (about $95 brand new). All my other tanks I put together myself (the equipment I mean LOL). This way I had all the bits I wanted. I'm not thrilled with the Eclipse filter to be honest - I prefer the HOB ones. The tray filter area just doesn't work well with generic filter media (I tend to use the premade filters that come with the tank, and once they are used up use generic filter sponge or floss - its much cheaper) and has no place to add media such as carbon when I use the generic filter media. It may be a little more expensive to do it piecemeal, but then you're guaranteed to have equipment which will work well for you.

You can do mollies and angels; the angels will do ok with really low levels of salt in the tank, and you will want at least some salt with the mollies. Do know the angels will most likely chow on the molly fry tho. I lurve angels; they are the reason *I* suffer from MTS *grin* Do know you will want around 10g per adult angelfish; I wouldn't put more then 4 in a 40g, and a single one in a 10g is acually pushing it. Do look for a tall tank; angels need room for those big fins. Btw, what sort of algae eater is a "G" AE?

I wouldn't put a male and female betta together; they will likely beat the hell out of each other. Also, putting the male in the 10g it will depend on what sort of tetras you have; if they are nippy ones I'd not add the betta.

Lastly, I know what you mean about them being fascinating! I had NO idea how cool fish could be when I started; someone gave me an 8g tank and I just threw 2 angelfish in there cause they looked pretty. Now I have 5 tanks (3 which are up and running, the 25g is in the process of being converted to SW) and I have fat happy healthy fish living in proper conditions, who amuse the hell outa me with their antics

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Weather loaches! They are super cool fish, easy to take care of, feed, etc. Hardy guys with very interesting habits and interesting personalities
Old 11-08-2003, 12:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allivymar
You can do mollies and angels; the angels will do ok with really low levels of salt in the tank, and you will want at least some salt with the mollies. Do know the angels will most likely chow on the molly fry tho. I lurve angels; they are the reason *I* suffer from MTS *grin* Do know you will want around 10g per adult angelfish; I wouldn't put more then 4 in a 40g, and a single one in a 10g is acually pushing it. Do look for a tall tank; angels need room for those big fins. Btw, what sort of algae eater is a "G" AE?
Well, I saw several other people posting call it GAE, so I followed suit. Seems to be a nice acronym for golden algae eater. That's the only thing about the mollies I wasn't sure about...if I would try to cultivate those (what would I do with more fish?) or just let nature take its course (meaning let other fish gobble them). If the angels like to chow on molly fry, then it may be a good thing for me to have them together. LOL

So perhaps something like 4 mollies, 2 angels, and the algae eater in a 40 gal would be ok?
Old 11-08-2003, 12:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think I've ever heard of weather loaches, Electrobes. Can you show me where I can find more out about them?
https://www.freewebs.com/tarotlady/
Kerrinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahh ok. GOLDEN algae eater. LOL god I'm dense sometimes.

I think your plan of 4 mollies, 2 angels and the GAE is a good one. Leaves you with some room, so if the angels don't eat all the molly fry, or decide to have some fry of their own and they survive, you'll be able to deal with em and not have to find a place to put them immediately.

You might want to look into some bottom feeders. The weather loach is one, but def go with a larger tank as they get fairly big (figure 8 inches or so). A school of corys is something to consider, or some smaller loaches like yoyos. You can read a little about the weather loach here, and cruise the site for info on other loaches as well: http://www.loaches.com/species_pages...icaudatus.html

Old 11-08-2003, 12:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you so much! I will check into those.
https://www.freewebs.com/tarotlady/
Kerrinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
Absolutely AVOID the GAEs. They are territorial and can be particularily aggressive. They will spend their time, once grown, trying to eat the slime coating off other fish instead of eating algea.

I'm assuming from prior discussions you'll be buying from Petsmart. They also have the "Rubbernose Pleco" .. it grows to the same size, leaves fish alone, and does a better job in my opinion.

The weather loach is what Petsmart calls a Dojo loach. Both names are common. They're great fish too.

Petsmart will be selling 55 gallon tanks at $99. The next 'normal' sized tank they sell will be a 29 gallon. Don't buy their starter kits. You can get all the individual pieces for the same price, and get better parts for that matter. They have other tanks, Oceanic and Eclipse tanks, that will have a variety of different gallon sizes and shapes but are generally more expensive as well.

I would avoid angel fish and consider the medium sized gourami species. Gold, opaline, and Paradise Blue. Petsmart has all three, and I've never had trouble keeping them. Angelfish on the other hand are actually cichlids, and can be quite aggressive, especially at night when you won't be able to see it.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret
Absolutely AVOID the GAEs. They are territorial and can be particularily aggressive. They will spend their time, once grown, trying to eat the slime coating off other fish instead of eating algea.
Well, it's a little late for this. PetSmart pawned a GAE off on us when we were in there buying fish for the first time (before I found this place). And I can't just kill him if there's nothing wrong with him simply because he's going to grow up to be mean. I already have him, so part of the reason for a bigger tank (besides wanting one) is to give him a place away from my sweet tetras. Besides that, he's become my daughter's favorite fish. She calls him the catfish.

Quote:
I'm assuming from prior discussions you'll be buying from Petsmart. They also have the "Rubbernose Pleco" .. it grows to the same size, leaves fish alone, and does a better job in my opinion.

The weather loach is what Petsmart calls a Dojo loach. Both names are common. They're great fish too.
PetSmart or Wal-Mart. I just bought a few tetras from Wal-Mart as they looked so much better than the ones at PetSmart.

Quote:
Petsmart will be selling 55 gallon tanks at $99. The next 'normal' sized tank they sell will be a 29 gallon. Don't buy their starter kits. You can get all the individual pieces for the same price, and get better parts for that matter. They have other tanks, Oceanic and Eclipse tanks, that will have a variety of different gallon sizes and shapes but are generally more expensive as well.
Really? A 55 gal for 99 bucks? That would be sweet. Then I'd just have to buy the accessories and equipment. Are there stands for the tanks there too? I don't think I have a piece of furniture that can hold a 55 gal.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
They have stands. Prices range from $30 to $150. That's metal stands all the way to full oak cabinets.

If you go for a 55 gallon, grab a Penguin 330 ($35), a good 200 watt heater, and if you use stick on thermometers, buy two, one for each end.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. Got my 55g from Petsmart. $99.

I do suggest an Emperor400 tho for a 55g. You want 6-10x the tank amount cycling thru the filter per hour. A 330 will give you exactly 6x the tank amount; in this case more is better. I run the Emperor400 on my tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com