Ideas for mothers day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fullmoonnight

Aquarium Advice Activist
So mothers day is coming up and being the aquatic freak that I am, I've decided to give her something fishy for mothers day. So far I have a marimo that had some "babies" (I'm making a tiny Marimo Family.) that will be the high light of the gift but just that alone would be boring. So I was considering some other things to spice it up a little. What do you think would be good? It has to be low maintence and can be in a tank or bowl that can fit on the dining room table and still leave room for people to eat. ( no more than 10 gallons I guess. I would prefer smaller though.)
So far my ideas are:
-Cobra guppies and some Ghost shrimp
-Blue crayfish (My mom really likes this one but it's tank requirements are a bit on the bigger end.)
-Betta
-Shrimp

(none of these go together of course haha. Imagine a betta and crayfish. What nasty ending :eek:)

Do you guys know of colourful fish that live in smaller tanks? I want more options.

Maybe an orange mexican dwarf cray (cpo)

I personally own one and i thing the maximum size is only 2 inches and he never touches my fish (community tank) and i never hear of them attacking fish anyways,

So if your mother already has an established tropical tank (minimum of 6 gallons) than i think the cray would be a great choice!

Of course there are many other cool dwarf crays out there but this species is obviously my favorite (otherwise i wouldn't have bought him)

And uh theres the catch

They fetch around $30

worth it IMO!

As mentioned, the dwarf crayfish CPO would be a great option because they get along fine in a community tank. You can find good deals on CPOs for $10 or $11 per crayfish on some sites.

I would not recommend a CPO with a Betta, although you could certainly keep a CPO or a group of them in a small tank. CPOs are generally peaceful, but I have had them take a few chunks out of the fins of some panda corys. Being such a slow moving fish, I would imagine the Betta would be an easy target for them.

I would keep a single betta with a few neon tetras or a dwarf puffer species tank.

And a betta is stretching it a bit with the cpo

If its a larger tank like a 30 its fine because bettas are surface feeders and tend to stay their the majority of the time

Any small bottom feeders (corys) will become victims eventually

A LFS on the other side of town said they got some "Mini mexican crayfish" on the 12th so I'll go down and a have a look since, without a credit card, theres no way I can get anything online without my mom knowing about it :/ Dwarf puffers don't come in very often :/ Last time any LFS had them shipped in was in Febuary.

Haha 30 isn't that bad (if shipping is included) the Electric Blue ones are $20 XD

I have a great lfs with lots of "pea puffers" (indian dwarf puffer)

But at the standard petstore they are hard to come by

And i paid $40 for my electric blue at the lfs but i hear they usually go for 30. The one i got was already 4inches though.
I couldn't leave the store without him lol

Attachments

• image-2161087815.jpg
    image-2161087815.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 49
WOAH Petsmart only sells them for 20 and Big Als too. I like your Profile picture. i can see you love hime very much to dedicate your name and display picture to the little--er big guy XD

20 bucks is a great deal

For that price i might even attempt to breed em and buy several

I wouldnt recommend that...multiple tanks would be needed.....but if you have the means..you could turn a good profit with these guys if breeding is succesful

I think that it's not to bad as well. Although, I probably wouldn't breed them. I'm more of a fishy breeder :brows:I wonder if I would be able to keep one in a ten gallon? Some websites say 20, some say 10 :/

Back
Top Bottom