Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ideas for new start on 20 Gallon Set Up

I have a 20 gallon set up that I used as a catch all tank for fry or as a hospital tank or however it may be needed that I am now going to set up as a purposed tank. I am going to be dirting and planting a 77 in the not too distant future and considered turning it into a smaller dirted tank and adding DIY CO2, but now am thinking about diversifying it from my others.

I am looking for ideas to recreate the tank. It is currently set up pretty bare bones so I can go in just about any direction. I have even considered starting my first salt water tank with it but I don't wanna spend alot of money of equipment....

If you have any ideas for set up or stocking shout them out. I'm looking for something different that may not have crossed my mind yet...

Old 02-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you like breeding, you could get a pair of dwarf cichlids and set it up for breeding them. If you want any fish other than the breeding pair, Threadfin Rainbows make excellent dithers and have too small of mouths to be any threat to the fry.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am defintely not against finding a cool dwarf cichlid pair. This was actually my initial idea. I already have a pair of Bolivians that I will be adding into my 77 later on and I really like them.

I was curious about adding any smaller fish to the pair and keep the fry from being snacked on as well. Good to know about the threadfins. If I go this route I will use them.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pretty much any schooling fish with tiny mouths are good for keeping alongside breeding pairs. Threadfins are my personal favorites because they have such interesting fin displays, but I believe there are several tetra types that can be used as well

I'd avoid bottom dwellers other than shrimp to avoid the breeding pair feeling threatened, but the whole upper half of the tank is fair game for small mouthed, non-aggressive fish.

Tags
20 gallon, gallon, ideas, set up, star, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com