Ideas??? To Move fish 1400 miles???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

I have recently moved from MT to AZ and am trying to figure out how to get my tanks here and set up. (One is still running at MIL's house with all of my fish)
I have gone over it in my mind a hundred times and I just cant seem to figure out how to do it and still have everyone survive.

It would be a two day move ...the only thing I can think of is to just put everyone in the 55 acrylic and hook the filter and heater up to an inverter. Maybe put a blanket over the whole thing.

Then the problem would be setting up the 90 gal before I could take them back out, no time to cycle etc.

I am thinking I will just have to leave the 46 behind (where they currently reside) and bring the 90 set it up and start over.

What do you think, anything I haven't thought of?

Well if your going to use an inverter on the tank to run the filter. You can add that filter to the 90 and it should speed the cycle up. You might get a mini cycle but water changes will help that.

You should be able to put the fish in as soon as the tank has run a couple of hours.

I've never moved fish quite that far. The longest I've moved was a 10 hour trip with much smaller tanks.
What I did was not feed the fish for a few days. You don't want them to build up waste during the trip. Put all the bags in a cooler to keep the temp stable as possible. I bagged up all the filter media too and put it in a cooler. Drained all the tanks empty and went on my way. When I got to my destination the fish were the first thing out.
You may experience a mini cycle because you'll lose some bacteria from gravel and maybe some die off in the filter.

You could try the acrylic tank idea. I personally would not be comfortable driving with a filled aquarium next to me.

personally i would find someone to take them. thats the best thing. you have two options. one is to mail the fish to your self or a lfs and have them hold them until your up and ready. if you are going to drive them do not put water in the tanks. you will need buckets or rubbermaid tubs. you would use a inverter with the air pumps maybe heaters and leave the gravel and media floating or on the bottom of the different tubs. each place you stop while it will be stressful wc them by dripping the name. bring extra prime.

where in AZ do you now live? i know a few people there maybe i can find someone to hold them.

Well I ended up setting up one of my tanks at my MILS house before I left. I am just missing them and trying to figure out if it is possible. I know I could be happy with other fish. :) I realistically should just get the 90 gallon here and start over.
I was just dreaming I suppose and wanted to see if anyone else had any brilliant ideas. :)
I was going to sell them to the LFS before I left but my MIL said no way she would take them...
She sent me a video of them on Mother's day...talk about twisting the knife...lol.

Get the 90 set up and have your MIL to over night them if you really want them. That is what I would do. You have time to get your tank up and running since they are being held by someone you know.

Get the 90 set up and have your MIL to over night them if you really want them. That is what I would do. You have time to get your tank up and running since they are being held by someone you know.

Thats exactly what i would do. Making a 2 day trip sounds risky and stressful for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom