Identification help-white dots/specks on tank wall of tropical tank (10 G)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clutron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon cherry red shrimp tank (approximately 3 months old). It has 18 shrimp and 2 apple snails. I feed them algae wafers and cucmber. Plants are java fern and java moss. Shortly after I transferred the plants these little white dots have been colonizing my glass. Tried water changes, gravel vacuuming, non-feeding the shrimp for 3-4 days, squishing these shell-like things to no avail! What are these creatures? They measure approx 2-3 mm-- they seem to have a clear shell and I can swear I can see movement inside. Attached are pics:

Attachments

• IMG_5488.JPG
    IMG_5488.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5489.JPG
    IMG_5489.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_5490.JPG
    IMG_5490.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5491.JPG
    IMG_5491.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 97
Maybe micro-ram snails that haven't fully developed yet. The adults only get about 1/8" or so.

If they are scuds are micro ram snails how do I get rid of them?

Maybe I should stop squishing them and see what they grow into... It's just so disgusting seeing dozens of these things taking over my tank.

Any fish will eat scuds. That is the only way to control them that I know of. If they are snails, cut back on feedings,and pluck them out as you see them. Letting them grow out a bit to get a positive ID on them is probably a good idea.

When I had fish in the tank, they did not seem interested in eating these specks/ creatures. The apple snails and cherry shrimp don't find them appetizing either.

They look like young developing pond snails to me.

If they are snails, will assassin snails take care of this problem?

Yes. Assassins love babies.

Back
Top Bottom