Identify my Loaches please....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martymc83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys

I bought two loaches at LFS believing them to be yoyo loaches, as they have grew I have started to notice size / marking difference and think one maybe a golden zebra and one a yoyo? Could someone have a look at pic's and try and identify them for me? first two pics are what I think is the golden zebra, and third pic is them both with the yoyo on the right? sorry about pic quality will get some better ones if needed.

Thanks

DSC_0367[1].jpg

DSC_0368[1].jpg

DSC_0370[1].jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464141834.927323.jpg

That is one of my golden zebras. Yoyo's usually have visible "y's" in their stripes when they are younger.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464142199.650517.jpg

Not the greatest picture but you can see the pattern. They sort of lose the y's when they get bigger.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464142264.144513.jpg

That big girl is a yoyo too. They get much bigger than the golden zebras. I'm pretty sure the one in the first picture is full grown.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464142917.215320.jpg

The one in the picture above was sold to me as a golden zebra but grew up to look more like some kind of hybrid yoyo zebra. My best guess is that there is a lot of sexual dimorphism in that species. The males look very different than the females.

They were all very hard too tell apart when they were smaller. Also, this is a Burmese boarder loach. They are much more shy But also looked the same when it was smaller.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464143380.884699.jpg

I had a hard time telling them apart at first. I'm still not sure what species the hybrid looking one is but it loves to harass my angel fish. None of the other loaches bother them at all.

Hope that helps or at least gives some frame of reference.

Back
Top Bottom