Identify this catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to aquariums. I've been working on my first aquarium. I bought this catfish at Walmart. They guy told me that a batch of these catfish were special ordered by another employee so he could get a couple of them. The were selling a couple that were left over. He couldn't tell me what kind of cat it was. Can anyone help? I can't get a decent picture of him because he sticks to his den. He's black with long white whiskers. He has a round belly, and his underside is white. Right now he's about 3 inchs long. He is also the fish in my avitar. Thanks :)

Attachments

• yami.jpg
    yami.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 138
:| most catfish sold in walmart get huge and should never have been introduced to the hobby of fish keeping. An example is the poor Asian Sun Cats who I now see everywhere and I want to stangle the idiot who ordered them. Thos grow to over something like 22 inches! arg... but hopefully this isn't the case.

It does look similar to a redtailed catfish though... but I haven't seen a good picture of a young one so I could definatly be wrong.

Could be an Asian redtail (a giant, super-murderous cat), or possibly one of the Bagridae.....a full-body photo or two will help greatly. I do agree that he looks like he is probably one of the 'matures at above 14" long' species.

Nope not a redtail. It is probably going to go over 15 inches though, most fish sold at Walmart will get very big.

I know it's not, but it looks like the channel catfish I caught last week in the lake.

Walmart is notorious for selling fish that get extremely huge for any normal size aquarium.

Not a South American redtail, but possibly an Asian redtail...two very different fish.

Maybe, but the barbels don't really look like an Asian redtail. It would really help if you could get a picture of the whole catfish.

catfish - full body photos

Here are the best images I could get in the dark. Thanks again.

Attachments

• yamibody2.jpg
    yamibody2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 50
  • yamihead1.jpg
    yamihead1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 60
  • yamibody.jpg
    yamibody.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 70
Thank you. Yeah, I picked him because I thought he was adorable. He's definitely the coolest fish in the tank. :D

Right now your tank is way overstocked. Do you plan on upgrading to a larger tank?

Blue gourami-5"
mollies-4.75"
red-eye tetra (not sure what they are, but probably-2"
cory (should really be in groups of 4 or more)-2.5"
pleco I'm assuming a common-18"

Thats 44" of fish in a 10 gal when you should be having at most 10" of fish.

HTH

Yes, I plan on splitting them all up into several tanks. They are all still very small so I'm figuring I have a little bit of time.

Looks suspiciously like a fairly melanistic Ictalurus furcatus...I would have been tempted to suggest Hemibargrus wyckii, but those are uncommon, and I cannot see Wal-Mart carrying one. Congrats, you have a potentially 5' long 100lb catfish that will kill and eat anything in its path.

I suggest swapping him out ASAP....it will probably be a matter of perhaps days or a week or two before your tetras disappear...then the mollies...then the Cory...it will be a good month or so before he makes a move on the gouramis...but once he has finished them, that pleco (who will likely be a good 5"-6" by then, on his way to 28"+) will start looking good.

Good old walmart. I'll figure something out with him. I'm sure I can find someone to take him. I think he's a channel cat. I was looking at the different Ictalurus species and Ictalurus punctatus looks the closest to my cat. And now it makes sense. I had 2 small glass shrimp, then one morning they weren't there. Even though he's a killer, I'm going to miss him :(
Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom