IDK what to do with fish, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esoteric Backbone

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm moving from Wy back to Az.

I bought a 20 gallon tank, that I let my Ex use to put fish in. Where she is living now, she can't have any aquariums.

Where I'm currently residing is at a friends, and there going to be leaving here within a week or two.

The Ex cannot find a place to take the fish, or for anyone to take care of them (I don't trust anyone to do the job).

One friend she was thinking about asking had an aquarium that was overstocked IMO. At a quick glance I saw a Tiger Barb, a Pictus, Dragon Goby, and others.

I've come to the conclusion that either

1) I'm going to see if any LFS will take them
2) I'm going to have to euthanize the fish
3) Or figure out a way to tank them to Az with me

(There is also a 5 gallon, and two 2 gallon.)

Please help, thank you.

GrimmGoby said:
I'm moving from Wy back to Az.

I've come to the conclusion that either

1) I'm going to see if any LFS will take them
2) I'm going to have to euthanize the fish
3) Or figure out a way to tank them to Az with me

(There is also a 5 gallon, and two 2 gallon.)

Please help, thank you.

I'd suggest the LFS first, even if they don't pay you for them, at least you know they'll be well cared for. Or try an ad for free fish on craigslist?

If that dosent work out, get a battery powered air pump and a cooler big enough to hold them for the trip keeping the cooler near the heater or a sunny window should maintain resonable heat. Have some cured water on hand to do a PWC along the way (long trip I'm guessing) and make your tank the first thing to setup. Keep the cycled filter media either in with the fish or a container with tank water. Bacteria can live for 3 days as long as they stay wet from my research.

Good luck!

I would agree with either Craigslist, or try to take them with you. It might be a struggle to move them, but remember they're shipped all over the world to eventually arrive at your lfs. Even if you lost a few in transit, it's probably a better outcome than bringing them to the lfs where they might end up in in some 13 year olds uncycled tank with a Pacu or something, lol.

Or you could feed them to a turtle, hahahaha! (inside joke from another thread :))

imtcurveball said:
i would put them on craigslist.

I didn't think of that, thank you for your advice.

Mr. Limpet said:
I'd suggest the LFS first, even if they don't pay you for them, at least you know they'll be well cared for. Or try an ad for free fish on craigslist?

If that dosent work out, get a battery powered air pump and a cooler big enough to hold them for the trip keeping the cooler near the heater or a sunny window should maintain resonable heat. Have some cured water on hand to do a PWC along the way (long trip I'm guessing) and make your tank the first thing to setup. Keep the cycled filter media either in with the fish or a container with tank water. Bacteria can live for 3 days as long as they stay wet from my research.

Good luck!

Great advice Mr. Limpet! Thank you! Ya it will be a pretty long trip, but I'm going to go by bus, so transporting the fish won't work, unless I buy a seat for them aswell :)

I'm looking into buying a 29 gallon and shipping it to Az before I leave, have my friend set it up for me, and let it cycle a bit, then send him the fish and plants. Idk if this would work though, because the tank won't be fully cycled. Suggestions?

eco23 said:
I would agree with either Craigslist, or try to take them with you. It might be a struggle to move them, but remember they're shipped all over the world to eventually arrive at your lfs. Even if you lost a few in transit, it's probably a better outcome than bringing them to the lfs where they might end up in in some 13 year olds uncycled tank with a Pacu or something, lol.

Or you could feed them to a turtle, hahahaha! (inside joke from another thread :))

Hahah! No turtles in this household, but there is a Ball Python, a Burmese Python, and two Red Bellied Piranhas. J/K

Thank you for your help and quick responses.

Ship every inch of your filter media and it'll be either cycled, or darn close. Just keep it wet and feed it a little ammo to keep it strong once the tank is set and before the fish arrive.

eco23 said:
Ship every inch of your filter media and it'll be either cycled, or darn close. Just keep it wet and feed it a little ammo to keep it strong once the tank is set and before the fish arrive.

Ok, sounds good! :) thank you.

Shipping a 29 gallon tank? Could your friend buy one locally? I would not want to ship a large glass box, unless I had no other options...

But shipping your used media (wet) should work really well. Shipping the fish might work too, if you do your research first. There are tricks to it, none of which I know, unfortunately!

glassbird said:
Shipping a 29 gallon tank? Could your friend buy one locally? I would not want to ship a large glass box, unless I had no other options...

But shipping your used media (wet) should work really well. Shipping the fish might work too, if you do your research first. There are tricks to it, none of which I know, unfortunately!

Severum Mama has a fantastic article in her signature about shipping live fish.

Back
Top Bottom