If my pleco's attached to the tank, he's alive right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a little 1.5 inch pleco and I barely ever see him moving. I'm worried he's not eating enough, and he's been stuck to the same spot in the tank all day long.

I've tried feeding some zucchini or algea wafers, but he never finds the zucchini and the wafer's get eaten by my other fish.

Is this really normal, or something to worry about. I've had this guy for over 2 months now.

I had a small 2" pleco in my cichlid tank that for the longest time (~1 yr) I never even saw. He was always hiding among the rocks. Then when we moved houses a few months ago and had to dismantle the tanks, I had an 8 inch monster. He never came out when the lights were on, or when anyone was near the tank, or during feeding times. And I have no idea how he was that big and hiding amongst the rocks.

My guess is he was eating algae/leftover food that would accumulate in crevices of the rocks.

Agreed. I never see my pleco during the day, but have never had an algae problem. Feed at night time, after lights out. Chances are, he is just a normal, lazy pleco. :wink:

i drop in my sinking wafers about an hour after the tank lights go out - if i look in the dark, i can see my pleco snacking away!

Mine is out all the time too. But sometimes he doesn't move for hours. He latches onto the side of the tank frequently also. Space Butler, if you've had your pleco for over 2 months, he's more than likely getting enough to eat.

Here's an article on veggie feeding:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=42

You can try giving him some other foods besides zucchini. My pleco loves zucchini, green beans, peas, and baby spinach leaves. When I put zucchini in, my pleco "rasps" on it. When you pull the veggie out, check for "rasp" marks -- then you'll have peace of mind that he's eating. If I cut the zucchini thin enough, he eats a piece out of it and then I know for sure that he found it!

I too have active pleco's. I have two in the 55 gal and they swim around like crazy. It's like they are trying to mimic the Cichlid's because they are always out and swimming. The only time that they are hidden is when it's feeding time. They usually hide in the ship.

Also, if you still have competition problems try broccoli stalks. The other fish should not be able to eat this very well and leave it along.

I love that article about veggie feeding.

I'll try the wafer after dark, but whenever I try zucchini, I'll pull it out the next day without a scratch.

It just stinks, cause A.) I'm worried he's not doing well, and B.) I love the way plecos swim (like they're gliding) and fan they're fins. I don't gush over that gaping maw, but overall, I think that plecos are great looking fish imo.

My Pleco comes out when Im standing there but quickly dashes to the back glass if someone else comes in front of the tank. If you give him a while (1-2 months) it may start to come out more because it "knows" you better.

I attach a slice of zuc to a veg clip and put it into the tank and withine minutes the pleco's have found it and attach themselves to the slice and stay on it for hours at a time. It's funny because they will eat it until it breaks off of the clip and they will stay stuck to it as it floats around the aquarium. I'm going to get a pic of it one day and post it in my gallery, it's very funny to watch it hit the maxijet's air flow and send it spinning.

i had a pleco in my old 55 for at least 2 years. He never grew more than a couple inches, to about 4" long. It was very rare to see him even move.

Now that he's in the 125, he is active all the time, grew to about 6", and loves to chase the 5 cory cats around.

I have an active bristlenose Pleco. Constantly searching for new areas to suck on. Even hovers on plastic plant leaves to suck on them. My juvenile Angels seem to pick on it quite a bit.

Wow...Pleco thread! I have a sailfin pleco (see sig). I learned really quickly that they are very shy and don't come out very often. Nighttime is the right time. After the lights have been out awhile, drop wafer...finds it each time. Besides, sucking algae and nutrients on glass and substrate keeps them nutritionally balanced.

Back
Top Bottom