Iis the Python way of doing water changes good???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
A few ppl tell me to stop Doing my water changes with buckets and to buy a Python water changer or a aqueon water changer. But when you put the tap water directly into the tank wont that harm ur fish?? I know that u put the conditioner in as son as u start Sendíng the water but is it safe???

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it wasn't they wouldn't be so highly recommended. However, it depends what your tank and tap water parameters are. If they are far off, you may need to age water. If they are that close, plug and play !!!

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Some people do half dose before, and half dose during. The great thing about prime is if you over dose a little, it is okay.

Also, try to turn off your filters before. Prevents chlorine from getting in your bacteria and killing em in case something happens.

Its the best! I did the bucket method for decades. So tired of spilled water. When I got married my wife wasn't having it with the nasty fish water on the floor so she urged me to spend the extra on a python. Never lost a fish using the python nad it has been 4 years.

You just put prime directly into the tank and it circulates as it fills.

Two things to watch out for
1. Temperature easy for water to get too hot or too cold if you aren't watching it.
2. Don't get distracted easy for the tank to overflow. Heard of this happening way to many times and it happened to me once.

Its the best! I did the bucket method for decades. So tired of spilled water. When I got married my wife wasn't having it with the nasty fish water on the floor so she urged me to spend the extra on a python. Never lost a fish using the python nad it has been 4 years.

You just put prime directly into the tank and it circulates as it fills.

Two things to watch out for
1. Temperature easy for water to get too hot or too cold if you aren't watching it.
2. Don't get distracted easy for the tank to overflow. Heard of this happening way to many times and it happened to me once.

To remedy #1 get a digital instant thermometer
Can't help with #2

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For temperature, I use my meat thermometer on the water coming from the tap before I start refilling. I can't help with #2 either, though. But I do love my Python.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The python is the best as far as refilling the tank. I wish it did a better job for me personally of cleaning the substrate and siphoning out water. There is not enough suction when I'm trying to clean my sand so I have to use a regular gravity siphon into a bucket. And it doesn't drain water quickly enough for me when emptying the tank. I use a submersible pump now to empty.

When I was just using the python it was taking about an hour or hour and a half for me to remove around 50% of my water. With the submersible pump it takes about ten minutes.

I was just giving those as things to be careful of not really major issues.

While filling my tank I got caught up in an episode of Andy Griffith and I start hearing my wife yelling that the tank was over flowing onto a basket of clean clothes that she just brought up ...she was maaad.

As far as temp goes I just have my thermometer in there and give it a glance I usually just feel the tube and make sure it isn't coming in too hot or cold. I have a hard time getting that happy medium with my faucet. I hate the handles that you have to move to the left or right for hot or cold I prefer the two nobs. I let it get too cold once and was able to quickly correct and no harm was done.

I was just giving those as things to be careful of not really major issues.

While filling my tank I got caught up in an episode of Andy Griffith and I start hearing my wife yelling that the tank was over flowing onto a basket of clean clothes that she just brought up ...she was maaad.

As far as temp goes I just have my thermometer in there and give it a glance I usually just feel the tube and make sure it isn't coming in too hot or cold. I have a hard time getting that happy medium with my faucet. I hate the handles that you have to move to the left or right for hot or cold I prefer the two nobs. I let it get too cold once and was able to quickly correct and no harm was done.
I was just making a comment on how I do temp. As far as over filling I haven't done it yet but almost did. Had the water over the plastic rim because I was reading on here.

The python is the best as far as refilling the tank. I wish it did a better job for me personally of cleaning the substrate and siphoning out water. There is not enough suction when I'm trying to clean my sand so I have to use a regular gravity siphon into a bucket. And it doesn't drain water quickly enough for me when emptying the tank. I use a submersible pump now to empty.

When I was just using the python it was taking about an hour or hour and a half for me to remove around 50% of my water. With the submersible pump it takes about ten minutes.

The text in red is very dependent on water pressure and tank height to sink height. I have great water pressure and can pull 75% out and refill in a 55 in about 30min. If you have low pressure then it may not work well for draining and vacuuming but still beats buckets for filling.

Yeah, I don't like to keep my water running to drain the tank. And my tank is 28" tall and half the water volume is 75 gallons. I just prefer the pump.

Yeah, I don't like to keep my water running to drain the tank. And my tank is 28" tall and half the water volume is 75 gallons. I just prefer the pump.

I understand that. If I was able to throw a hose out the back door I would drain that way also but im in an apartment.

I meant that I would always turn the faucet off after the siphon had started which slowed it down tremendously.

Actually, I have a 125g that is 30" tall, and my faucet is a good 20' from the tank, and I don't have any trouble at all with my suction after I turn the water off. But it is a downhill run, which helps. But, I also don't do a lot of vacuuming since my tank has a good many plants, and I don't want to disturb the roots too much. Just in the bare areas. By the time I get finished wiping the tank down, and cleaning my filter material off, and get my water additives ready, I have removed as much water as I want to, which is probably @30 gallons.

I understand that. If I was able to throw a hose out the back door I would drain that way also but im in an apartment.

Out the window haha I know I do

Never did this as I dont have an outside faucet on my building but, you can use the outside faucet if there is one close enough and your apartment has one.

The text in red is very dependent on water pressure and tank height to sink height. I have great water pressure and can pull 75% out and refill in a 55 in about 30min. If you have low pressure then it may not work well for draining and vacuuming but still beats buckets for filling.

Yeah, I get great water pressure and can drain 1/2 my 60g in about 10 minutes while vacuuming. Takes another 5 minutes to fill it back up.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly it is easier to just use a normal siphon when taking water out and water the lawn, plants, etc. Plus, you reuse water.

Back
Top Bottom