Illegal danios :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It seems I impulsively bought a cute little pink danio with out doing research and it turns out they are illegal in my state ( glofish) I was visiting my grand mother and popped in to look for angels and saw a billion pretty bright pink danios all crammed together but other wise looking healthy. They were labeled as "pink danios $4.99" I though "awesome! I've never seen a pink one!" After being assured by the owner that my other danios would accept him or her in to their school I brought it home.

What if this fish spawns with my other danios and fry survive, will I be stuck with the future babies? What is the law on half breed glow fish? Also, it's still only an inch long and so juvenille, the assorted long fins just ignore the new comer. Is it because it's small and short finned? Or the color? I don't really want to go back and buy two more to make a separate school.

The school is:
3 adult gold leopard long fins 2m:1f at least 2 inches including fins n
2 young adult blue long fins 1:1 1.5 inches
2 adult zebra long fins 1:1
1 Juvenile pink short fin danio (idk gender) about 1 inch

Any help would be appreciated.

Don't worry about it. It's not that they are specifically illegal to have, its that they've never been approved to sell in California. The developers didn't want to go through the trouble and expense to get them approved. Go read the glofish web site. Just don't release any into the wild. It seems the other 49 states are doing just fine with them so don't sweat it.

Coryluv;2 972656 said:
Don't worry about it. It's not that they are specifically illegal to have, its that they've never been approved to sell in California. The developers didn't want to go through the trouble and expense to get them approved. Go read the glofish web site. Just don't release any into the wild. It seems the other 49 states are doing just fine with them so don't sweat it.

I figured the police weren't going to show up and arrest me for my little fish ;) but I'm curious if I would get in trouble for trading or selling fry on Craig's list should that fish spawn. I seem to have fertile murtile danios. I'm not going to actively try to breed that pink one.

Any ideas about why the glo fish won't hang out with the others?

I guess I can get in trouble for selling them because of a patent but maybe not trade them... Interesting.

Yeah, that's my understanding of it. As to why it isn't hanging out with the others, maybe it's still acclimating?

Just so you know the glo fish are sterile ! Whatever they do to them by injecting the colour causes them to not be able to reproduce

And maybe the other danios don't realise that he is the same species of fish as them because of the colour or they will school and he is just not familiar enough with the tank yet

Just so you know the glo fish are sterile ! Whatever they do to them by injecting the colour causes them to not be able to reproduce

They don't inject it after the first generation and it's a gene that's injected and then passed down through future generations. They're not sterile.

And maybe the other danios don't realise that he is the same species of fish as them because of the colour or they will school and he is just not familiar enough with the tank yet

I was afraid of that. I REALLY don't want an other one. I think the one I have is very distracting in my tank just because it stands out so much in my otherwise natural looking 180g. I suppose if it stays lonely I'll have to take it back to the store I got it from--assuming I can catch it.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403119022.692013.jpg
Don't worry about it. This is my lonely pink glofish and I have had him for nearly three years without any danios or anything for him to school with!! Yours will be fine on his own

Haha thanks I have three of them. And yea I looked it up I am not sure why I thought they were sterile haha. They actually seem quite easy to breed..!

I have a yellow long fin zebra and an orange short fin panther. They school with my pearls, blue longfins, leopard longfins, etc - it may take a day or two to join up with the group.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Per Wiki,

Sale or possession of GloFish remains illegal in California due to a regulation that restricts all genetically modified fish. The regulation was implemented before the marketing of GloFish, largely due to concern about a fast-growing biotech salmon. Although the Fish and Game Commission declined to grant an exception (solely on ethical grounds) in December 2003, it later reversed course and decided to move forward with the process of exempting GloFish from the regulation. However, due to the State’s interpretation of the California Environmental Quality Act, Yorktown Technologies was informed by State attorneys that it would first need to complete a study which could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and take years to complete. According to the company’s web site, they have thus far declined to undertake this study.[9]

FYI. I would say the odds of you being busted by Fish and Game is pretty small though.

Hee, apparently I'm not the only one with a single, pink danio! Mine (assuming its a male, just going to refer as "he") assumes quite a leadership role in my tank. He was the first one there, and kinda bosses everyone around, playing line leader all the time. Almost every fish (not cories or rams) follow him, in their giant school.

I wouldn't worry, I took a baby queen conch (an endangered species) from the Florida intracoastal and no ones busted me. Lol

And as far as your glofish danios schooling with your natural danios it's not a problem. I've got glofish skirt tetras and regular white skirts and they school together fine. I don't think they can tell the difference. I recommend maybe getting a few more and picking up one of those blue led lights that the company "glofish" make, that really brings out there neon colors! It's pretty sweet.
Also, I think their DNA would be so screwed that they wouldn't be able to breed, but idk I've never tried.

I wouldn't worry, I took a baby queen conch (an endangered species) from the Florida intracoastal and no ones busted me. Lol

That's not something to boast about.. i went snorkeling on a dead reef in Dominican because people "took souveniers"...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not true at all, a place that I used to frequent bred them for a bit after they hit the market. Tha is until someone caught wind of it and they received a letter from the developer's attorney stating that the fish was under patent and had to stop. Eggs were originally injected with an anenome gene to gain the coloring, and since it was on the genetic level the color is passed through generations. It would be way too much work to inject millions upon millions of eggs with the genes to create these fish so it is not at all feasible to think that they would be sterile, not all animals that are hybrid or transgenic are infertile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom