I'm a bad Mom :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
:(

I turned my filter down and my frog started swimming around like he has been waiting for me to do this his whole life.

Oh, I got a different bulb and now my pictus is swimming around too.

They must hate me.

:cry:

Aaaw. You are not a bad mom. Your babies were not suffering before. You changed some things and now they are more happy. A lot of what we do with our tanks is trial and error. I know that sounds bad but really we cant be IN the tanks with our fish so we have to rely on them for cues on if they are not happy. Sometimes the things we change are for the best, sometimes not. Congrats on your new bulb nd your happy fish. :D :D

yep, all my fish hate me at night..every night, prolly becuase I have to change clothes in front of the tank lol no but seriously they hate me, they all turn away from me when i get up close to look at them, so i'm gonna make a huge back drop of me makling faces and put it on the tank so they always have to see me LOL

tropicfishman said:
yep, all my fish hate me at night..every night, prolly becuase I have to change clothes in front of the tank lol no but seriously they hate me, they all turn away from me when i get up close to look at them, so i'm gonna make a huge back drop of me makling faces and put it on the tank so they always have to see me LOL

:lol: :lol: ya know, that might work! if you put the back drop in the back (duh) then they will turn away from it and face forward, and they'll be looking at you! :wink:

-brent

Your fish and frog don't hate you, they were just talking to you in their own way. If you weren't a good fish mom, you wouldn't have picked up on their language.

It is a bit difficult to keep dwarf frogs well fed IMO. I did my best with them and don't really know what happened but they are all dead now. They all seemed to get some strange disease and died shortly after. No more dwarf frogs for me. :(
I hope you have better luck with them and I'm sure they don't hate you. :)

I've had mine quite a while now. I bought him some blood worms yesterday, they weren't frozen, they were off the counter. He didn't seem interested. He likes the krill. The bloom worms are just floating there. Great. Maybe the pictus will pick them off after I leave.

I've watched him stuff his face with half a reptile stick before. Also, I heard they can overeat theirselves to death, so I won't give him a lot at a time. the barbs take most of anything anyway.

The live and frozen stuff scares me because of the bacteria. If I spend a bunch of money and he doesn't eat it, I won't be pleased.

He is so little, I think he just picks stuff off the bottom of the tank.

I believe Hikari irradiates their frozen foods just like the freeze dried stuff to prevent unwanted parasites from coming with the food. So they should be a safe bet.

No, you are a good mom for figuring out what they like.

I drowned two dwarf frogs by putting them in a 55 gallon that was too deep for them. I didn't realize it until it was too late. :(

I have the clawed ones and they get much bigger than the dwarfs. I have never had a problem with them eating. These guys when big enough will chow even on fish pellets. I do have trouble keeping them in the tank. They always seem to jump to their dealth. I have also never had a problem with the filters on the tanks bothering them. But, I always have lots of stuff in the tank for them to stand on at the top. I really lov my frogs.

I’ve starved an ADF or two in my day. Unfortunately I’ve had to figure things out on my own, as there are not a lot of great resources out there on ADF. That said, I think they have gotten a bad rap and are not all that hard to keep.

ADF are awful hunters and tend to be out-competed by tankmates, losing whatever is left to the gravel. The only feeding advantage ADF have is a large mouth. I limit tankmates to unaggressive, small mouthed fish like endlers, white clouds, male guppies, neons, etc., along with filter feeding shrimp and snails. I feed the ADF brine shrimp or blood worms which are too big/aren’t eaten by these tankmates. After a few minutes the ADF ‘discover’ the shrimp/worms sitting atop of the sand. They will also take broken-up shrimp pellets, or frog bites, but my endlers usually peck at them first.

As for their habitat, all that is needed is weak filtration, some hiding spots, and a relatively short tank. I’ve heard of people successfully keeping them in tall tanks, but that has not been my experience.

Wow. How could they drown?

I just brought some frozen blood worms home. This should be interesting.

I think I've had him a year, so he must be eating something. If I throw krill in there, he usually senses it immediatley and raises his neck up really high. It's really cute how he sits up like that.

One of the ADFs I had for over a year as well but he just recently died and I have no idea why. I fed my frogs frozen bloodworms, frozen brineshrimp, live blackworms, shrimp pellets and whatever fish food that they could get. They seemed to be thriving, until they passed.

They can drown by not being able to reach the surface of the water to get a breath of air. This could be because they don't have the strength to go get all the way up in a tall tank or the surface is too close to the hood which doesn't allow them to get air.

I think ACFs are easier to take care of, as they will actually go to the surface for food. The problems with them are they are cool-water frogs, get somewhat large, and will eat fish that can fit in their mouth.

that's why I put off on giving him the frozen food. I'm scared I'm going to give him some sort of bacteria. Last night was the first batch of frozen I've ever given him. I gave them half a cube. The pictus did some vacuuming for me.

The dried stuff doesn't sink, but I threw some in when I got home. The frog actually went to the surface for some. I have some tall plants, so he climbed those and grabbed some food.

It's been a while, but mine will sometimes float at the top of the water and swim along there for quite a while at night.

Back
Top Bottom