I'm going to be getting Cory fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
6.5 gallon tank readings.

Without fish.
6.5 gallon tank
nitrate 50 ppm
nitrite 0

Why are these tanks readings at 0.. esp my 20 gallon tank, which I have for a few months?

With 2 small fish.
Endler's fish
6.5 gallon tank
nitrate 0
nitrite 0

With 15 fish.
20 gallon high.
nitrate 0
nitrite 0

I heard fritz complete works for cycling a tank is that true?

I heard from a fish expert that fritz complete works for cycling a tank and without water changes, is that true? As long as the fish looks healthy. He also said to buy prime conditioner. and use it daily, while keeping an eye on the fish.
Should I do the above, if my tank is not cycled?

I heard from a fish expert that fritz complete works for cycling a tank and without water changes, is that true? As long as the fish looks healthy. He also said to buy prime conditioner. and use it daily, while keeping an eye on the fish.
Should I do the above, if my tank is not cycled?

The fish expert would be incorrect. Fritz complete is a detoxifyer of ammonia, nitrite, chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals but it does not supply the nitrifying bacteria that we are trying to establish. ( https://fritzaquatics.com/products/fritz-complete )
Fritzyme #7 and Fritz turbostart 700 ( https://fritzaquatics.com/products/...ical-additives/freshwater-nitrifying-bacteria) are live nitrifying bacteria cultures so you can add fish to a tank immediately when using these 2 products. The key is not to overload the tank even when using these products because the bacteria colony will still need to move into their "home" ( the most highly oxygenated areas of the tank) then process the ammonia the fish will be producing in order to reproduce and enlarge the colony. If there are no fish, there is the fritzyme trace that has elements that feed the nitrifying bacteria.

As for your test results, I don't trust them. In a cycled tank, there is a nitrate level unless you have products or plants that are absorbing the nitrates as fast as they are being produced. It makes no sense if you used the Fritzyme #7 and still not getting a nitrate reading. It doesn't matter what testing material you use, the end result is nitrate. No nitrates means there's nothing in the tank that is producing them if there are no nitrate consumers in the tank. If you used the fritzyme #7 according to the directions, you have nitrate producers in the aquarium.

I have a lot of fake silk plants.

The fish expert would be incorrect. Fritz complete is a detoxifyer of ammonia, nitrite, chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals but it does not supply the nitrifying bacteria that we are trying to establish. ( https://fritzaquatics.com/products/fritz-complete )
Fritzyme #7 and Fritz turbostart 700 ( https://fritzaquatics.com/products/...ical-additives/freshwater-nitrifying-bacteria) are live nitrifying bacteria cultures so you can add fish to a tank immediately when using these 2 products. The key is not to overload the tank even when using these products because the bacteria colony will still need to move into their "home" ( the most highly oxygenated areas of the tank) then process the ammonia the fish will be producing in order to reproduce and enlarge the colony. If there are no fish, there is the fritzyme trace that has elements that feed the nitrifying bacteria.

As for your test results, I don't trust them. In a cycled tank, there is a nitrate level unless you have products or plants that are absorbing the nitrates as fast as they are being produced. It makes no sense if you used the Fritzyme #7 and still not getting a nitrate reading. It doesn't matter what testing material you use, the end result is nitrate. No nitrates means there's nothing in the tank that is producing them if there are no nitrate consumers in the tank. If you used the fritzyme #7 according to the directions, you have nitrate producers in the aquarium.

I have a lot of fake silk plants. Or do you mean real plants? I am using Fritzyme #7, ammonia blocker, and conditioner. That is all I'm using in my tanks.
I know I've got to buy the ammonia test kit or the API master test kit.
I will buy once I get paid.
There is another pet store opening up near me. I can take a water sample and see what they have to say about my fish water. and I'll get the numbers from them. In the meantime, until my master test kit arrives,

I have a lot of fake silk plants. Or do you mean real plants? I am using Fritzyme #7, ammonia blocker, and conditioner. That is all I'm using in my tanks.
I know I've got to buy the ammonia test kit or the API master test kit.
I will buy once I get paid.
There is another pet store opening up near me. I can take a water sample and see what they have to say about my fish water. and I'll get the numbers from them. In the meantime, until my master test kit arrives,
When you say ammonia blocker, what do you mean, ammonia detoxifier or ammonia remover?
As for nitrate removal by plants, yes, I mean live plants. (y)

I'm not sure

When you say ammonia blocker, what do you mean, ammonia detoxifier or ammonia remover?
As for nitrate removal by plants, yes, I mean live plants. (y)

I only have fake plants. I'm not sure if I have ammonia remover, or detoxifer. I just know it gets rid of Ammonia.
It Removes/detoxifies all of the kinds of toxic nitrogen compounds in the water.
Here is the link to what I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OONEOA/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I only have fake plants. I'm not sure if I have ammonia remover, or detoxifer. I just know it gets rid of Ammonia.
It Removes/detoxifies all of the kinds of toxic nitrogen compounds in the water.
Here is the link to what I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OONEOA/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Okay, what you have is a Detoxifier not a remover. (https://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/water-conditioner/amquel-plus#compatabilities! ) It does not "block" ammonia but it basically converts toxic ammonia into non toxic ammonium for the nitrifying bacteria to process. This means that you should have nitrite producing bacteria from the Fritz #7 and nitrate producing bacteria from the Fritz #7 so that means you should have a nitrate reading.

Keep in mind that in order to "cycle" an aquarium, you NEED ammonia in either it's toxic ammonia state or non toxic ammonium state. You DO NOT want to remove ammonia when you are trying to establish an aquarium. You just need to control it's amount. (y)

The next step is getting your accurate readings. (y)

Cory facts...
l once had just 3 Corys and they were doing fine.

It is a myth that they need a sand substrate.
They do just fine on gravel.

Thanks.

Cory facts...
l once had just 3 Corys and they were doing fine.

It is a myth that they need a sand substrate.
They do just fine on gravel.

Thanks. I do have fine gravel, and it's not sharp. Thanks for your reply. :fish2:
I have 5 cories and 2 panda cories. I need at least 5 panda cories, so I'm going to buy from online. :thanks:

I have 5 cories and 2 panda cories. I need at least 5 panda cories, so I'm going to buy from online. :thanks:

You should wait at least one month before adding more fish to a tank unless you are quarantining new stock. This gives the new fish time to settle in and for any diseases to appear.

Panda cories.

You should wait at least one month before adding more fish to a tank unless you are quarantining new stock. This gives the new fish time to settle in and for any diseases to appear.

Well, I have this problem, when I ordered my cories I bought 5 peppered Corie's and 2 Panda Cories. I did not know Panda cories only School with their same kind, so I need at least 4 more, on top of the 2 Panda Cories I already have. Which i will be getting on the 1st of March, 4 Panda Corie's. Then I'm done buying any fish for the tank. I also have 3 Red Eyed Tetra's and I should have 6 or more, but I can wait on that for a month. :fish2::fish1::thanks:

I have this problem. I have to keep counting my fish. To make sure all my fish are alive. Yes, I do water changes, and add conditioner, along with Fritz7, and Ammonia Blocker. But I still keep watching my fish. I am paranoid of losing fish. How many of you keep counting. and watching your fish? I do not have a job, so I can stay at home, and watch my fish all day. I'm already retired, so I have plenty time on my hands.

I have this problem.

Yes we know that :)

------------------

I do not have a job, so I can stay at home, and watch my fish all day. I'm already retired, so I have plenty time on my hands.

You're in trouble then :)
If you turn into The Incredible Mr/ Ms Limpet, nobody will be around to look after your fish. So no turning into a fish :)

Yes I am a fish. lol

Yes we know that :)
Really. I was that oblivious :lol:

------------------

You're in trouble then :)
If you turn into The Incredible Mr/ Ms Limpet, nobody will be around to look after your fish. So no turning into a fish :)

You're too late. I am already a fish. All my fish count on me to keep them alive. I'm doin the best I know how to keep my fishes alive and well. It's that ammonia that is causing the problem. I keep putting Ammonia blocker in my fish water, but I ran out. It's time to do some Amazon shopping in a few days, when I get payed. It's time to keep well stocked, so if I run out of important stuff, that I have more, that I can use.

You're too late. I am already a fish. All my fish count on me to keep them alive. I'm doin the best I know how to keep my fishes alive and well. It's that ammonia that is causing the problem. I keep putting Ammonia blocker in my fish water, but I ran out. It's time to do some Amazon shopping in a few days, when I get payed. It's time to keep well stocked, so if I run out of important stuff, that I have more, that I can use.

It doesn't pay to load up on anything until you know what you have. The first thing to get is good testing equipment.
From what you have described you used, you should have already finished cycling your aquariums but your test results do not confirm this. This is why I don't trust your results. Fritzyme #7 and Fritz Turbostart 700 are like an Instant cycle in a bottle.( They let you skip the 2-3 month waiting period for establishing nitrifying bacteria naturally because they have live nitrifying bacteria in them.) You should not be having ammonia readings when you use these products unless you overstock the tank or it's coming from your refill water. You need to know where it's coming from. You should be at the point where all you need is chloramine removal for when you do water changes but your test result do not back this up. This is either you are doing too much or using the wrong things.

We're all here to help but you seem to refuse to acknowledge that your testing results are bad or more likely inaccurate and so you are doing things to correct what probably doesn't need correcting. Have you heard the expression "killing it with kindness"? You may be doing this. :( So instead of jumping the gun and buying things you probably don't need, let's take every step in order. I suggest No more water changes. No more additives. ( The only thing that is safe at this point to add is the Fritzyme #7 in tanks with fish. You will only kill off the bacteria in the empty tank since there is no ammonia source. ) Get reliable testing materials (a.k.a. liquid tests) or continually go to a shop, at least twice a week, to have them routinely test your water to ensure there is no rise in ammonia or nitrite and you are seeing a rise in nitrates. ( The seeing the rise in nitrates is the most important part of cycling an aquarium.) Once you are at this point, we can discuss maintenance routines and adding fish.

Keeping fish is a pretty straight forward proposition. It's not rocket science or that complicated. You need to know that the water you are using is safe for fish. You need to know that you have a functioning bacteria bed in your aquarium. You need to set up routines for maintenance and feeding. You need to not overcrowd your tanks with fish. That's the bottom line basics of aquarium keeping. I've been doing it since I was 7 years old so it's not complicated. ;) ;) When it comes to the fish, you need to research them before buying or getting them so that you know that they will work in your set up. If you can get to this point, you should be enjoying your fish tanks, worry free, for years to come. (y)(y)

Hope this helps. (y)

I finally have nitrate and nitrite

I finally have nitrate and nitrite, very hard to see cause it's hard to tell, with the color chart. In my 20 gallon tank. My nitrate is 10 and my Nitrite is at 0 or 1 was hard to tell. Cause the white almost looks light pink color. i have been using Fritz #7, so its about time I get some kind of readings. I also let the test strip.. face up for 60 seconds, to give it sometime to register. :fish2::fish1::fish1::fish2:
I know I gotta buy the Master test kit, like in a few days when I get payed, but in the mean time, for at least a week I only have the strips, just for now.

One thing I'm learning

One thing I'm learning is to keep extra on hand, cause I keep running out of conditioner. I have some left, but will have to buy more, and once I get the aPI master test kit, hopefully that will last me awhile. I'm buying two of everything so i do not run out. :fish1::fish2::fish2::fish1:

One thing I'm learning is to keep extra on hand, cause I keep running out of conditioner. I have some left, but will have to buy more, and once I get the aPI master test kit, hopefully that will last me awhile. I'm buying two of everything so i do not run out. :fish1::fish2::fish2::fish1:

Unless you have to pay for the shipping all the time, I'd not buy 2 of everything but stagger your ordering so that when you get to say, 1/2 empty on the conditioner, you buy the next bottle. This way, you should be getting fresh stock.
Here's a hint for when you use the liquid tests: Read them in natural lighting against a white piece of paper. That makes the colors stand out better. I can't say the same for test strips. If you use different lighting, that can effect the colors you are seeing.

Sure I can do that

Unless you have to pay for the shipping all the time, I'd not buy 2 of everything but stagger your ordering so that when you get to say, 1/2 empty on the conditioner, you buy the next bottle. This way, you should be getting fresh stock.
Here's a hint for when you use the liquid tests: Read them in natural lighting against a white piece of paper. That makes the colors stand out better. I can't say the same for test strips. If you use different lighting, that can effect the colors you are seeing.

Thanks for your reply. I do have problem. My hands are shaky. Does API Test Kit come with a holder for the vials, Does it hurt if you spill some API liquid on yourself? I'm not sure if it's safe for the skin if you do use it. I'm on medications for medications, which cause my hands to shake. It's a little bit better—not as bad as it used to get.
As far as buying stuff for my tank. I can wait until the bottle is half full. It takes Amazon a few days to ship it to me.

Can I use Fritzzyme 7- Along with Prime?
Wow some of my text looks red. Do you see what I see?
I wounder when I post this, if the text will remain the same. I'm not sure how that was done but it looked cool, if the text remains that way. Well gotta get some shut eyed. I been up for 16 hours. The red text is gone, well it looked cool. Goodbye Red Text.

Back
Top Bottom