I'm Having Bio Cube Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J Migidy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I finished setting up my 29 gallon Bio Cube today. I'm gonna let it cycle with stress zyme for about a week until I start to add my fish. Those Bio Balls need to get going ya know? I'm having some issues allready though. My first issue is the water flow created by the pump. It's a little strong. I would like to adjust this but I don't know if it's possible. The instructions that come with it are horrible. Same with the Bio Cube stand instructions. Does anyone know if you can slow down the flow? My second issue is fan noise. The Bio Cube comes with lunar lights, a coralife blue actinic lamp and day lamp. With just the lunar lights and or the actinic lamp the system runs silent. Once you turn the day lamp on the fans rev up like a jet engine. Is this normal? I don't remember hearing the fans on the pet store set up? Anyone with Bio Cube experience please reply to this. Thanks in advance.

I'm gonna let it cycle with stress zyme for about a week until I start to add my fish.
Are you adding pure ammonia or do you have a raw shrimp in the tank as an ammonia source? If not, you aren't cycling. ;) You need an ammonia source to cycle a tank and it takes more than a week I'm afraid.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21
^^ There is an article on the nitrogen cycle...I suggest you take a look so you'll know what your tank is doing doing a cycle.

HERE is an article on fishless cycling. It talks about using pure ammonia and tells you how to choose which kind to use. :)

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about the Bio Cube...maybe someone else does!

Well, I filled the tank with water from my outdoor Koi Pond along with some snails that came along for the ride. I'm adding Stress Zyme to the water and Alge Waffers for my snails. I was thinking about adding some Zebra Danios from my 55 gallon tank for a little bit. Not sure though. I'm still having those bio cube issues though. Any thoughts?

The fan is to cool the lights. Have you tried taking out the actinic bulb? It's only useful for SW anyway, and the fan may not come on w/out both lights.
As for slowing down the flow rate, try putting a sponge over the intake to limit the flow.

toddnbecka said:
The fan is to cool the lights. Have you tried taking out the actinic bulb? It's only useful for SW anyway, and the fan may not come on w/out both lights.
As for slowing down the flow rate, try putting a sponge over the intake to limit the flow.

Both the Actinic lamp and day lamp are on separate switches and outlets. The lunar lights are as well. The fans only kick on when the day lamp is turned on (by itself or with the other lights). When the lunar and or Actinic lamps are on the unit runs silent with no fan. I could run the blue Actinic all day if I wanted to and the fan wont kick on. Only problem is that it's too blue and makes it hard to see things. Plus it won't help me grow plants. So to answer the question about removing the blue light, I don't think it's an option. It won't solve the fan problem. I'm just surprised that they are so damn loud. I'll try the spong tip though

The actininc won't help with yur watts per gallon but it can help grow plants because of the spectrum of light it emits.

Can you switch the day lamp with the actinic?

fish_4_all said:
The actininc won't help with yur watts per gallon but it can help grow plants because of the spectrum of light it emits.

Can you switch the day lamp with the actinic?

I'm not sure if I can switch the lamps around so the day lamp is not on the switch that kicks the fans on as well. They use the same socket or whatever so I'm sure it would work. Maybe I'll try it out...just hope the day lamp doesn't get too hot. I'm thinking the reason the fan is on the switch with the day lamp is because the day lamp gets hotter than the actinic....not sure though.

No, it shouldn't get too hot when just running the 1 alone. The reason for the fans on the day bulbs is usually, when the day bulbs are on, the actinics are on as well, which can get quite warm. But at night, SW just has the actinics on, so it's cooler and doesn't need the fans. Regular bulbs and actinics both get quite warm, but really get hot when run together.

Lonewolfblue said:
No, it shouldn't get too hot when just running the 1 alone. The reason for the fans on the day bulbs is usually, when the day bulbs are on, the actinics are on as well, which can get quite warm. But at night, SW just has the actinics on, so it's cooler and doesn't need the fans. Regular bulbs and actinics both get quite warm, but really get hot when run together.

So basicly I could just take out the actinic and move the day bulb to the actinic slot.....then just run the day bulb with no fan and I should be cool???

Back
Top Bottom