Im looking for a new fish. Any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd like a dwarf puffer but i have a betta and have been warned off.

Any ideas?

I'd like a fish that is compatabile with mine (see signature), entertaining or just with good character.

I love my 2 yoyo's cus they are so lively sometimes especially when i feed them! then they just practically lie down on the bottom. I used to think they were dead, they lodge themselves into some pretty funny positions.

Mollies are good...not the smartest fish, but good fish just the same. The betta's long fins are going to limit you, so something really non agressive.

Satsumas said:
There guppy's arent they? they spawn like crazy!

1 of the first things i said to myself when i set my tank up was "No guppys"

not guppys but live-bearers..

but yes they do spawn like crazy from what i hear. i've had 1 trio for about 1.5 months now without any fry..

I had a betta in a community tank once, he was as genial as can be to the other fish. I think bettas only hate each other and things that look like them. And from my experience the fins are a problem, makes the betta really slow and attractive to fin nippers.

exaclty how many gallons is that?
Cory catfish are lots of fun, a school of them goes with just about anything :)

I think you could definitely add to your danios too....make them more of an actual school. And I agree some corys would be great....they are quite active and super cute.

The fish/pet store I worked in we had tiger barbs, silver dollars, and a betta together. Everyone got along very well. When etta was sold and another was put in there, I would keep an eye out, and they did fine as well. Probably had 6 -7 different bettas in there over the course of 6 monthes.

Sometimes the fish in the fish store tanks leave each other alone because it is way to crowded for anyone to establish territory.

I really dont know what to do!

I think i want another yoyo, some cory catfish 1 or 2 maybe, 2 leopard danios and 1 zebra ( i used to have the most beautiful leopard danio but he died!) and then maybe an oto if there's room.

I just want an attractive, lively, friendly tank. my tank would look great with a dwarf puffer swimmin about as they do, but i think its best for my betta i dont get one.

How quick are the dwarf puffers?! Yeah my betta is a sitting duck for fin nippers. He displays himself by swimming slowly and elegantly at all levels of the tank.

Wellll. you could put the betta in another tank/bowl, And then get some african puffers and tiger barbs. I know they do fine. My ex had 2 african dwarf puffers. they're quite slow, but they can dart when they're spooked. If you put your finger in the water, they'd come and bite it. it was amusing (they were 1.5 inches)

That's my two cents!

Puffers belong in a species only tank. They do the most damage when other fish are resting; therefore, the puffers do not need to be fast.
The tank we are talking about is 80-85 L which is 21-23 gal. Go ahead and add the yo-yo, as they do best in groups and increase the amount of danios. The more schooling fish, the more interaction you will have. If you add corie cats, they are also best in groups larger than three. You have some decisions to make!

Do not put any kind of puffer in your community tank. On extremely rare occasions it can work, but it's not worth it to risk the fish. If you want a puffer that bad, just get a smaller tank for one. It should be noted that your betta is NOT the only problem. A puffer would be likely to kill your danios, neons, and maybe even the loaches.

Im definately gonna get more danios thats a fact.

I want another yoyo loach as 1 is massive compared to the other and the bullying is an issue at dinner time. So this will spread it out.

The oto's are small arent they? so i should be ok will all so far yeah?

I think i'll get some cory cats if i dont get the yoyo

Ah, sorry bout that, only read the 2nd page. Thought the only problem was the beta. My friends brother had 2 puffers and 4 tigerbarbs in a 15 gallon for well over a year with no fatalities. They did attack the pleco though Rip sucker :-(

im starting to really go off the idea of having a dwarf puffer in there. At present my tank is pretty harmonious and i'd hate there to be some little !$%( in thre to ruin it.

Those Oto's look really good i think i'll get the store to order some cus they dont have any at the moment. Also more danios and some cory cats!

It's good that you're against the puffer idea now. :p Will help prevent any unneeded casualties. They are great fish, but they need their own tanks.

Back
Top Bottom