I'm moving and need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DjPotter79

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will be moving in a few weeks about a half hour away from where I'm at now. What would be the best way to transport my fish and shrimp... Any info would help and Thank you

I would put the fish in buckets and try to get oxygen in there as best you can... Try not to put fish that would eat the shrimp with the shrimp and that kind of thing.

Then, take the tank down and move it all to the new place. As soon as you get there, set the tank back up and add the fish again. I would also take 40% of the tank water with you if possible... I don't really know your situation, so it's hard to help.

Get a large rubbermaid tub and put your fish/shrimp in it. Get a battery operated air pump to help add oxygen to the tub. Also, remember to keep your filter media wet.

6 months ago I moved 10 tanks. What I did with the smaller ones (less than 30g) was bag fish and filter media, place all electrical equipment on towels, then drained the tank to the substrate. My husband and I then carefully carried them to the car and packed towels around them so they didn't move. For the larger tanks I bagged the fish, wrapped the equipment in towels, drained water, removed all decor and substrate into large tubs and placed the tanks on foam in the back of hubby's work truck.

When we got to the new house I filled the tanks, dechlorinated, brought them up to temperature and acclimated the fish. I did this for all tanks except my 70g African tank. They had to stay in a tub with their filter and spare heater over night so their tank could come up to temp (it was winter at the time). I didn't save any water except what was in the bags with the fish.

Being as its only half an hour away why not drain 50% of the water, put ghe tank in your car secure ot from sloshing drive it over immediately set ot back up, top off like it a water chamge and bam ur done?

Mummas wayis the best imo. (Women are alot better at multi-tasking)
How can you advise the o.p. to remove only 50% of the water without even knowing what size tank or any details?
O.P.
Take mummaoftwo's advise.

Mummas way is great i ahree for long distance moves over a few hours. Just sharing advice on short moves. Sorry that u felt my advice was so inadequate u needed to flame me

OgMummas way is great i ahree for long distance moves over a few hours. Just sharing advice on short moves. Sorry that u felt my advice was so inadequate u needed to flame me

Just make sure you bag your filter media in tank water (same as your fish). This will keep your good bacteria alive & happy for the trip to their new home. Also make sure you have something such as a cooler/buckets/tub/whatever to place your bagged fish & media in for the trip to keep them from sloshing around. :)

Back
Top Bottom