I'm Moving my 55 gallon tank to a new house.....need help :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J Migidy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm moving in July and my 55 gallon planted tank is coming along for the ride. I've never had to move a fish tank this big before and I've never had this many fish to move. I have six good sized angels, a pleco, a ghost knife fish and a red fin shark. I have a way of transporting the tank safely once it's empty and I was thinking about transporting half the water and all my plants in some five gallon buckets? The real problem I'm having is catching and transporting all my fish? Especially my angels. They are delicate and I don't want to hurt them. How should I catch them and transport them? I've had them in the tank since they were babies almost a year ago. Any help would be great. Oh yeah and my total drive time between places is about 20 minutes

I'd recommend using Rubbermaid and Tupperware containers (other brands can be substituted of course). Use the Rubbermaid containers to trasport the water and fish, and use the Tupperware container to catch and scoop out the fish.

Moved to general discussion as this doesn't pertain to planted tanks as much as to general tanks.

I recently moved and had to move 11 tanks ranging in size from 125 on down. I used rubbermaid containers and airstones to house the fish while getting ready for transport. I tore the tanks down, (not all in one day of course!) and emptied out the substrate and put the substrate and plants into separate rubbermaid containers than the fish. Keep the filter media wet !! After the tanks were installed in the new house I added substrate back in and ran the filters and added dechlorinator and then the plants and then the fish. Everyone was fine. Good luck with your move.

Back
Top Bottom