I'm moving what do I do!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beautifulbettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm moving what do I do!!!

My mom decided to buy a new house and we are moving it's quite the drive and I'm worried about transporting my bettas! What can I do to ensure the least amount of stress and damage to them during the trip?

My mom decided to buy a new house and we are moving it's quite the drive and I'm worried about transporting my bettas! What can I do to ensure the least amount of stress and damage to them during the trip?

I'd just keep them in cups in a dark area. Dark means less stress I'm pretty sure.

I've moved a number of times and haven't lost a fish. It's probably harder on you than them. I like ice chests lined with plastic trash bags for the fish (none of those scented things -- plain black or white sacks!). If the tanks are small enough (I'm guessing they are since you keep bettas), you can drain them down most of the way and leave the gravel/plants/decorations undisturbed. Saves a lot of time/trouble. Siphon the water into your ice chest and stick your filter media in there with the fish if you have HOBs. Try to keep at least 50% of their water to reduce the amount of tap water you'll need to add at the new home (it might have a different pH). Obviously, each betta needs it's own bag but you could put several in one ice chest. The more full the space, the more stable the temperature.

I've moved a number of times and haven't lost a fish. It's probably harder on you than them. I like ice chests lined with plastic trash bags for the fish (none of those scented things -- plain black or white sacks!). If the tanks are small enough (I'm guessing they are since you keep bettas), you can drain them down most of the way and leave the gravel/plants/decorations undisturbed. Saves a lot of time/trouble. Siphon the water into your ice chest and stick your filter media in there with the fish if you have HOBs. Try to keep at least 50% of their water to reduce the amount of tap water you'll need to add at the new home (it might have a different pH). Obviously, each betta needs it's own bag but you could put several in one ice chest. The more full the space, the more stable the temperature.

Wow that's a great idea I've never thought if that thank you

I like your idea better lol

How far away is the new place? Fish are shipped in crazy conditions all over the country all the time - it's how they get to your LFS afterall...

Basically, leave the old setup in place as long as possible, and once ready to transport, just use buckets... home depot or lowes has five gallon buckets with lids that will work great for a day or two. Use some of your old tank water in the buckets, but also some new is what I have done in the past.

If it will be longer than a day or two, you might want to get a battery powered air pump. You can find them often at bait and sporting goods stores to aerate minnow buckets.

The other important thing, try and keep the temperature moderate. It is winter after all... it probably goes without saying but don't leave them in cars without the heat running for longer than a few minutes...

How far away is the new place? Fish are shipped in crazy conditions all over the country all the time - it's how they get to your LFS afterall...

Basically, leave the old setup in place as long as possible, and once ready to transport, just use buckets... home depot or lowes has five gallon buckets with lids that will work great for a day or two. Use some of your old tank water in the buckets, but also some new is what I have done in the past.

If it will be longer than a day or two, you might want to get a battery powered air pump. You can find them often at bait and sporting goods stores to aerate minnow buckets.

The other important thing, try and keep the temperature moderate. It is winter after all... it probably goes without saying but don't leave them in cars without the heat running for longer than a few minutes...

It's only an hour or so away

oh, then you will have no troubles. Just pack in buckets, set back up when able.

Yes they'll be fine. A lot of people buy fish online and they spend a few days in FedEx or UPS trucks inside a cooler.
Think what a bumpy ride that is!

Back
Top Bottom