Im ready to throw this tank out of the window!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adiliegro

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am seriously ready to just give up. I have been doing this cycle for exactly ONE MONTH today. My ammonia is at 0, but my nitrites are at 0.8 and I have absolutely the SAME amount of nitrates as I have had for over two weeks. They wont go up, but the nitrites go up DAILY! Water changes have been done a lot and it isnt helping. Is it NORMAL for my nitrates to not go up but my nitrites to? This is seriously frustrating the hell out of me. I even tried doing a 75% water change like someone advised me to do and NOTHING...everything went right back to the way it was after a day.

What am I doing wrong? I am feeding them only once a day and very little at that...doing frequent water changes...cleaning the tank and gravel...even letting the water level in the tank drop to about 3 inches below the top so more air can get into the water...I just cant figure it out.

how are the fish acting? your feeding so i assume there eating? are the fins clamped? are they acting droopy? hangin at the bottom? if not, and all is well, may i suggest a deep breathe and some patience let nature take it's course, truely a month is nothing when it comes to time in respect to a fish tank, relax start to enjoy em a bit, imo for what its worth

the fish are acting fine...the one Lab hangs out in her corner but I think that is from the larger lab chasing her there everytime she ventures out. I see her try to swim out and about and as soon as the bigger lab sees her, he darts towards her and she goes back to her little hideout. So they are acting fine...im just getting a bit frustrated with this because I am seeing NO progress at all. A LITTLE bit would be great...thanks for the comments!

you may think your not seeing progress but truthfully, whos time time are we on? yours or mother natures,, a lot of people mess with thier tanks way to much and dont enjoy em enough ........let your fish show you the progress

I guess you are right...I just want to add some more fish to this tank so I CAN enjoy it more... :lol:

Oh, Lord Jesus, I hope it isnt 3 months...LOL. I guess the saying patience is a virtue is correct, huh? Ill be patient, even though I dont WANT to be.

seriosly over the last 2 yrs 3 55s 3 20s 2 30s and a ten gal. believe me,, my rule is 1 fish every two weeks after 3 months, and some of that depends on when i gravel vac or service filters etc.,,

Nitrite eating bacteria is much less effecient than ammonia eating bacteria. It needs lots of oxygen. If you're not running an airstone, I suggest putting one in.

Medusa Head said:
Nitrite eating bacteria is much less effecient than ammonia eating bacteria. It needs lots of oxygen. If you're not running an airstone, I suggest putting one in.

Yeah, do that! It helped my tank get out of it in a snap!

Don't clean the tank, filter or the gravel while you are cycling. It can harm the bacteria. Later when the tank is established and there is bacteria present everywhere you can "clean" more.

Hello- I usually dont post much on stuff like this because I thought I was just too new at it but since it has been over a year I thought I would at least pass along what I was told. :)

When I fist started I was a bit obsessed with my tank. Sometimes I would test my water a couple times a day. I did water changes and cleaned it almost daily. Finally I went in to a small local fishstore and the woman chewed me out big time! She told me the best thing for me to do would be for me to just back off and leave it alone. I was really offended but did as i was told. I only do a 20% water change once a week. I clean my tank every other week and my filter on the other weeks. I then clean all of my plastic plants really well but only if they get really dirty. My water testing has since always come up good. It just took what seemed forever to get my tank cycled and on its way. Hang in there!! It really is amazing when everything settles into place.

Stacie

Back
Top Bottom