I'm showing nitrAtes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madaboutshrimp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been cycling my 20g tank for about a week, week and a half now(unfortunately with fish). I was advised when I started the tank to add Tetra Safe Start and a source of ammonia(fish). I've been testing every single day with the same results, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, PH 8.0-8.2. My ammonia levels never spiked past .25 so I didn't mess with water changes, just topped off the tank once and been adding neutral regulator(apparently the equivalent of prime) every evening. Today I did my daily testing, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20ppm...out of nowhere! I'm going to take samples of the tank water to the LFS today and have them make sure but I think I'm cycled! In a week! This is crazy.

I was literally so excited I started doing the running man and electric slide across the rug for a good 5 minutes until I worked up a sweat and ran out of breath. Called my husband screaming something about Nitrates(don't exactly remember the conversation lol) and in response I got a lot of puzzled 'mmhm' like noises followed by a less than interested 'that's nice, want to go play golf this evening?'. I think I'm a bit too excited:brows:.

Now, I'm not trying to stir up controversy here because now that I know about fishless cycling I will NEVER ever add fish like this again but I just HAD to share, especially since there's a lot of debate about whether the bacteria boosters actually work.

Now if only my 5g tank will hurry up and cycle!

Are you using test strips or liquid test kits to test your water? Test strips are notoriously inaccurate, and liquid test kits are recommended. The most popular is the API Freshwater Liquid Test Kit found in most pet chain stores and LFS.

James_in_MN said:
Are you using test strips or liquid test kits to test your water? Test strips are notoriously inaccurate, and liquid test kits are recommended. The most popular is the API Freshwater Liquid Test Kit found in most pet chain stores and LFS.

I'm using the API master test kit

madaboutshrimp said:
I'm using the API master test kit

That's the one.

Did you seed your tank with anything from an established tank (filter media, gravel, decorations, etc)?

Congrats on the quick cycle. :)

That's the one.

Did you seed your tank with anything from an established tank (filter media, gravel, decorations, etc)?

Congrats on the quick cycle. :)

No and I was really afraid that not doing so was going to seriously delay the cycling process because I've heard that cycling with fish actually takes longer(about 8-12 weeks).

I'm definitely going to consult the LFS to make sure that I'm not hallucinating or the kit isn't bad because I'm in a serious state of disbelief.

I had my water tested at the LFS this afternoon and my tank is indeed cycled woo hoo! The only thing wrong is the PH and apparently it's because my KH is so high(23, whatever that means). I'm at a loss as to how to get it lowered without the use of chemicals though. :blink:

Grats!

Sounds about right for a well-done fish-in cycle. When I did my last 10g, it was day 13 when my nitrates went through the roof.

What's your PH at? It's hard for it to be wrong, per se... most fish will adapt if acclimated slowly. I have wild-caught fish that are 'supposed' to be in 6.5-7 but are in 7.8 and doing fine.

If you do feel the need to lower it, bogwood or peat filter media are natural options.

Rokuzachi said:
Grats!

Sounds about right for a well-done fish-in cycle. When I did my last 10g, it was day 13 when my nitrates went through the roof.

What's your PH at? It's hard for it to be wrong, per se... most fish will adapt if acclimated slowly. I have wild-caught fish that are 'supposed' to be in 6.5-7 but are in 7.8 and doing fine.

If you do feel the need to lower it, bogwood or peat filter media are natural options.

It's 8.2. The fish seem to be doing fine with it so I'm not super worried but if lowering the ph means they'll be happier I'm willing to try anything to bring it down. Are the peat and bogwood available for sale through the normal fish websites?

Back
Top Bottom