IM SO ANGRY!!!!! Update! part 2, found the manager

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
My God, i went to my lfs to get 1 fish, just 1, they have around 50 10-15 gallons tanks full of fish, BUT when i looked at each fish, Grrrr there must of been around 20 dead fish in the tank 20, i counted 38 dieing fish, 12 with ich, 5 internal problems, all the tetra's looked like the had NTD there were 9 fish with ulcers and 4 fish with dropsy, and then i gave up counting, i went to a staff ( who was playing with a bouncy ball) and pointed a huge dead fish out, it was being eaten by other fish and he had the nerve to say to me "its not dead" it was half eaten im soooo angry :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: the manager is a compleat .... and they were still selling the fish to people, he said none of the fish were ill, i sore some1 who i new well and she said to me "yeah we had a batch in last week and we cant cure the fish, we have given them everything but nothing...." so why are they selling them and saying there okay... im so angry :evil: :evil: :evil: ( sorry ) they treat the fish like crap and put around 30 angel fish sorry dieing angel fish in 1 10 gallon tank 30 fish in one 10 gallon tank.... sorry about this i needed to tell people.. here is their website http://www.portonaquapet.co.uk/ i am never going back there to get another fish, but the problem now is that i have no were to get any, were can i get some fish INternet? but will they be healthy?

Seems to me that sad cases like you have described should play themselves out simply by the loss of business, and the eventual closing of the store.... should they go on for long periods or if there is a pattern of neglect or abuse. The owner should be made aware of the current problems and hide the tanks from sight, put QT signs or stickers on the infected tanks, or @ least do something that would apease the casual shopper, not to mention a passionate hobbiest. It doesn't bother me to see fish eating other fish, because it is a natural event. When it happens @ the store in public view, it's a differnt matter for sure.

Fish do get sick and LFS's are constantly in the unenviable postiton of having to receive shipped fish and acclimate them for display and for sale, and perhaps some of the reason for the conditions you saw were not the fault of the owner. This doesn't justify a sense of 'I don't care' from the ball bouncing bozo.

I wouldn't go there anymore, and pray they go under, before some government agency slaps another law on the books. That...we don't need!

CH

tht would be great if they closed down they deserve it, for example if you buy eg a filter 9/10 times there will be something missing, but they get soooo much business, its the only place for about 40 miles that sell fish etc sooo , all i now is im not going back.

From what you are saying, this place has deteriorated since you first got into the hobby correct? That is definitely sad to hear. I agree that it is a combination of the lfs source of stock, if the fish are shipped to them ill, they have to battle with that problem. Of course, having a non-caring attitude that they have is abhorent.

were can i get some fish INternet? but will they be healthy?

The best online source that I know of is liveaquaria.com

hi ya, yeah when i started the place was great, then slowly the good staff left, and these young teen's come along and this weekend ...........

yeah i agree the website looks good but i dont think they ship to UK lol, thanks anyway.

What I would do is find an email address or a phone number for customer support and get in touch with them. You may be surprised with the response you get. The only way headquarters knows how the chains are doing is by customer feedback.

I did this with a below average PetCo when I lived in Charleston, and the next time I went in things had turned around dramatically. I got a response and an update from someone within the company as well. Just make sure that your "letter" is well written with no spelling errors.

I hope that helps

yeah, as soon as my exams are over i'll get m dad to write a letter, the business man he is lol, and i guess i will wait and see il keep you people noticed, Thanks for the advice, still though i am angry, i felt so sorry for the fish, its like the snakes they are kept in little boxes stacked on top of each other in a fridge looking thing, dont no anything about them but they cant move so that's mean in my opinion.

I wouldn't make any big threats or anything. I know I didn't. I just let them know that because of what I saw I had no intention of shopping there again.

hmmmmm they seem to be self driven, there is now headq the only number is the local number and the website number is the same sooo even if i did mention it she manager there could not care a less. Oh well thats a bummer.

tropicfishman said:
thats a good point, if was a cat or dog they would be put in jail, why is that fish don't seem to matter?

"Fish don't have feelings" or something.

If I see a place with multiple dead fish I won't shop there. There's a few places that may have one or two dead fish in the whole store which is fine. When dealing with thousands of fish, you'll have a death or two probably each day.

Meijer's seems to be one of the worst places to buy fish. There was at least 5 dead CAE in one tank alone. Lord knows about the others (I was there for some Otos until I saw that).

yeah well porton have around 20 dead fish each time i go there and they only have around 100 freshwater fish soooo......... no more going there

So i went back and talked to the manger, and said about all the dead fish etc, and all he said is " well if you dont like it here then dont come back"............... and then he walked away.. i was not happy lets put it that way!

Well, if you feel strongly about it, and have free time, hang out there. Educate the customers - not loudly, not obnoxiously, just a quiet word. Don't make a big stink, don't be too obvious about it. Only the customers are going to make that place change.

One tip - when you go in, pick up something small but expensive as if you were going to buy it, then "browse around" the store. On your way out, buy something small and cheap. They can't say that you aren't there to buy anything.

It just shocked me how little they care about their customers and repeating business with people, but i might see if i could quietly educated other people about the condition of the fish!

I went into a store like this about a month ago. Usually I will not say anything besides a heads up to the employees about dead fish. I know it is a lot of work but this one store was so bad. The algae on the glass was so thick you could barely see in the tanks. Cages of overpopulated hampsters, beutiful parrots in filth. I reported the store to the board of health and animal cruelty. If you see something that is really really bad, why not report it.

well i wouldnt go to a manager i would go to the owner.
even if there only one store. Go there ask to talk to the owner
and esspecially about what the guy says he has no customer service skills and that is a no no for a manger esspecially.
i learned in a business the customer is always right. lol
eeven if i wasnt working i would like to be treated a certain way..
Its there job to care about and sell those fish.
and if there is so many dying they are losing out on money and the owner will certainly care. its there job to care and try to make the store better.
and if the owner doesnt well then take them to the better business people and put down about there customer service skills and then they will smarten up
and if they really dont care well then dont shop there. cause they have no knowledge about business.
part of a business is to keep improving itself and making it better so more people want to go there.
my fish stores suck yah, but they arent rude and helpful and they want to learn. they ask questions if they dont and tell me to come back and tell them the answer.
but put it simply that manager doesnt care about his job or being there wanting to do his job properly and if i owned a business i would give him **** and if he didnt smarten up he would lose his job.

Glad to see people agree how badly its run, i have asked to see the owner but they said hes not back for a month, i thought yeah okay but i have asked to see the owner 2 times before over the last 2 years and he or she has ALways been away! thing thing that bugs me the most is the way they treat the animals, i don't care how i get treated i can walk out, but the pets there, eg 1 snake huge snake has been there since i first went there, i feel sooo sorry for the poor thing and the rest of them.... O well, il do my best and tell you what happens..

well tell them to give you a number to reach the owner. Yes they probably are as they leave it to people they think they trust.
get a email address or a number. Usually owners have a cell for work to ensure that if theres a problem someone can reach them.
goodluck

Back
Top Bottom