Impeller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigge_al

Aquarium Advice Activist
I figure this is why my filter is not picking u water. This is from a Whisper Tetra external 40g filter. What do yall think.
img_1680904_0_0ae99ece22109a4e571814ca2e269f80.jpg

It was that way when I bought the filter it actually worked for a little while I guess the tiny blade final was not enough.

No it was not new it came with the tank. I had cleaned the filter b4 starting the tank. I wonder if running the filter without water could have worn down the blades. It takes me a few minutes to do a water change it it runs without water for a few minutes. I really hope that the new one get here fast. Luck for me I bought a second 40g filter to add to the tank so the tank will be ok until it arrives. I also purchase a extension for the filter so I goes deeper in the tank since my tank is a tall tank the current pipe only goes down 1/3 of the tank.

Bigge_al said:
No it was not new it came with the tank. I had cleaned the filter b4 starting the tank. I wonder if running the filter without water could have worn down the blades. It takes me a few minutes to do a water change it it runs without water for a few minutes. I really hope that the new one get here fast. Luck for me I bought a second 40g filter to add to the tank so the tank will be ok until it arrives. I also purchase a extension for the filter so I goes deeper in the tank since my tank is a tall tank the current pipe only goes down 1/3 of the tank.

Ooookay, that's what happened, running a filter without water is a big no-no, as you saw what happens when you do. Before your start taking water out you need to make sure and unplug all filters and heaters, both of those can NOT be plugged in without being in water, and if the filter is not self priming (meaning you have to fill it with water before it'll pump water on its own) you need to put water in the filter before plugging it in. That's what happened to the blades. You can probably find a replacement impeller online somewhere that would be cheaper than buying a whole new filter.

Back
Top Bottom