Important filter and baby fry question!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyetexa2001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok today i got rid of my goldfish and my betta that were in my aquarium. So today i went out and bought some fish i bought a male and female dalmation molly which the female was already pregnant. And i bought a male and female baloon molly which the female was pregnant too. Soo to get to the point i want to know what i can do to prevent the babies from getting sucked into my filters. I was thinking of taking a filter poad and cutting it and sewing it back to make sorthve a slip on for the pipe that sucks the water into the filter. And it is a hang on filter by the way. I wont really worry about the water flow because i have two filters running at the same time. And im not even using att the power it is capable of so i dont make too much water current i am just thinking that all the poop that usually gets sucked up is gonna stay in the aquarium instead of getting sucked up. I would really appreciate it if somebody would help me out on this the babies are due very soon and will arive even sooner because my water temperature is very high arounf 85.
Thank you : )

I cut a piece of an aquaclear sponge filter media and stuck it over my intake tube...seems to work pretty well, I have about 50 fry in there! =)

Yup, sponge filter media works great. If you just need a quick stop gap then you could also use an old nylon stockings...just be careful how you ask for them, I got wierd looks from the wife.

To be safe the sponge is a great idea. Just make sure to take it off during water changes and rinse it out. Of ocurse the parents will eat many of the babies. That is probably a good thing as those mollies could fill a 10 gallon tank in no time.

As mentioned, the sponge filter will do the trick.

Do keep an eye on how your fish interact though...two males and two females aren't the ideal mix. You may find your females will be harrassed an awful lot, and the males may fight. One male to two to three females is a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom