Impossible to clean glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am in the process of taking down a tank, cleaning it up and putting it storage. This tank has had this strange build up for a few months it is only around the top 6 inches of the tank, I was unable to clean it without the aid of chemicals. Now that there are no fish I have tried vinegar and a razor blade I have also tried pot scrubbers. This stuff is just not coming off! Is there a household cleaner I could use? How will I be certain it is fish safe after washing out?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130702_155020.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130702_155020.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 78
Sounds like limescale/calcium build up. Have a look for a product called "Easy-Off BAM". It's a bathroom cleaner. A few different types, i use the Limescale remover. This stuff is brilliant at removing all types of gunk. I used it in a second tank I bought. It had very heavy calcium stains on it and it removed them in 5mins. I had fish in the tank later that day. I put the tank in the shower, upside down. Sprayed directly onto the stains, leave for a few mins and it just wipes off. Rinse it very very well with warm water. I use the shower.....
***WARNING***....Only use it on a glass aquarium.

I couldn't find the chemical mentioned above, but I did try a Mr clean magic eraser and it worked wonders on the algae and some hard water spots! It didn't get the hazy stuff off the glass but I am now convinced that it is not coming off. I tried KABOOM, Mr clean magic eraser (bathroom), vinegar, and lime-a-way nothing touched it! It didn't even fade, Gerr! Well I guess in two years I will find out if I rinsed it comes enough :/

I know you said you tried vinegar. With glass being porouis, try using some dish cloths, soak them in neat vinegar, leave for +24hrs, making sure they stay wet with vinegar. This might get into the pores of the glass and remove the haze....

That is a great idea, but the tank is already put away. I will give it a shot when I break it out next time :) thanks for the suggestion

Back
Top Bottom