IMPULSE BUY: We all have them...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I finally went to the last LFS in town that I have never visited... and oops, I came home with a fish.

Now, some of you may remember that I was looking for a pleco to add to my tank and that I was going to wait a couple of months. I was also leaning towards a bristlenose pleco as well. Well, none of that happened.

While I was there, I noticed that they had an over abundance of pleco's. Pitbull ($7.99), Common, Green Rubber Nose ($12.99), Royal (no price), Gold Nugget ($29.99), and Clown ($8.99). The guy said that they like to order a wide variety because they have a market more for the rare than the commons. Every other fish shop I have visited said the opposite. I guess I found my new favorite LFS (not to mention their other wide variety of fish: including the 120 gal "aquascaped" cichlid tank - as much as one can "aquascape" a cichlid tank).

Anyway, I ended up coming home with a 2" clown pleco. Fast little suckers they are. Guy had to use two nets to get him. He's currently acclimating, but I'll get some pics in a few hours. Hopefully he likes his new home.

Because it was an impulse buy, I really didn't do much research like I should have. The clowns were on my original list so I knew he would fit in my 29 gal and would be fine, but I didn't read about other specs. As a result, I've got to order a nice piece of real driftwood. Hopefully he'll be fine until then.

I was thinking I would be in the dog house when I got home and my wife found out I bought a fish, but she's actually ok about it. I take this as a sign that she has finally accepted my fish keeping hobby.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

FMJnaX said:
Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sure it is...sure it is. :D

I'd say you got a great pleco and from what you've described, you've also found a great LFS! Although you say you didn't research the specifics for him, you've started off on the right foot by deciding to get the driftwood. Pleco's love rasping on it. Other than munching on the wood and the occassional left over tidbits from feeding your other fish, a variety of veggies will be appreciated. Zucchini is a fav, as well as blanched peas, broccoli and lettuce (not iceberg...yuck). Some algae wafers are also good.

Congrats and post them thar pics.

FMJnaX:lol: , impulse buys are my special downfall,
and then, after research I had to go back to the lfs and get ALL that's needed, the impulse bcomes my best buy ever. :lol:

good luck

i got a clown pleco too... don't be surprised if you never see it, mine likes to hide in the many cavernous holes in my enormous driftwood. I have to lean over and look in the holes and cracks to find him. Sometimes at night he comes out... but mostly stays hidden.

What you should have done is bought two and told your wife you were going breed them so that they would pay for themselves :lol:

As Ashley said you won't see them much. The only time I see mine is during feeding time and just after I turn the lights out, but they are interesting to watch.

i have a rock on top of some pvc. inbetween the glass and the pvc/rock theres a hole. i have a perfect view of one of my clown plecos :D

Good to hear the one who must be obeyed is settling into you keeping fish! :twisted: ROFL
Great LFS's are hard to come by!! Great find! (y)

You sure are right... after a good couple of hours of acclimating, he swam straight for the "cave" and I can just barely see him. I haven't put in a traditional cave so for now he just has what my artificial driftwood creates; which should be enough for the time being. I'll be interesting to try and get a picture. Once my batteries are done charging, I'll give it a shot.

Questions - since a lot of you seem to have clowns:
1) I picked up the Hikari Algae Wafers with the buy. Are these alright in terms of algae wafers?

2) Are clown pleco's an algae-eating variety at all? I didn't buy him for algae eating, but it would be a nice "feature" to have. lol (perhaps I'll get a true algae eating plec if not)

3) Anyone have experience with clown's and planted tanks?

Clowns are good for planted tanks. Mine loves the hikari algae wafers, but you have to place it practically right in front of their faces....IME.

My impulse buy was my 12g tank, so don't feel too bad. And I promised myself I would stick to one from now on... :(

greenmagi said:
Hikari makes some of the best commercially prepared foods.. thats all Ive got for you!! ROFL!!!
A number of years back I bought a can of Wardley spirulina discs (1/2 price because the can was damaged). When comparing the ingredients with the Hikari disks, I found that the ingredients were far superior in the Wardley's. I don't consider wheat to be a plus in a premium priced algae disk. Unless Hikari has changed the formulation, I will be buying the Wardley's disks.

well.. personally i find wardleys algae wafers kind cheapy. its not very compressed so that means it has less in there. but my fish still ate them, but it seems kindabad. but i probally got the cheap crap.

BillD said:
greenmagi said:
Hikari makes some of the best commercially prepared foods.. thats all Ive got for you!! ROFL!!!
A number of years back I bought a can of Wardley spirulina discs (1/2 price because the can was damaged). When comparing the ingredients with the Hikari disks, I found that the ingredients were far superior in the Wardley's. I don't consider wheat to be a plus in a premium priced algae disk. Unless Hikari has changed the formulation, I will be buying the Wardley's disks.

Your friend does R&D for Wardley! LOL.. just quincydance I think not.. JK BillD your advice is spot on and I think it could be a quincydance.. but its a matter of quality of the ingredients..

I'm filtering at 300 gph using a Penguin100 and AquaClear200 HOB's. This is just over 10x per hour. Tank temp is 76F, peaking to 78F on a hot day. PWC's with a gravel vac every week.

might want to go up a hair in filters to mabe 400gph.. plecos are well like goldfisha bit of poopers... I use sera algea wafers firts ones all fish would eat:)

Thanks for the advice megladonsharky. After vacation, I'll increase by 100-200 GPH for sure.

I finally managed to snag some pictures. He came out from under his hiding spot just long enough to snap a couple. I'm not pleased with the quality, but it will have to do for now. He's about 2" I would guess, but maybe a bit smaller.

Attachments

• clown1_964.jpg
    clown1_964.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 16
  • clown2_213.jpg
    clown2_213.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 24
ncluding the 120 gal "aquascaped" cichlid tank - as much as one can "aquascape" a cichlid tank.

Just curious: have you seen Travis Simonson's 125g Mbuna tank? A while back he said a secret to his success with certain plants is he's more stubborn than his fish... Travis is awesome.

Congrats on the new fish :)

Back
Top Bottom