Impulse purchase mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I went to the LFS last weekend to get some new plants and some new rocks to rescape my boring 28ish gallon tank. While there the store owner suggested a clown loach to keep snails at bay.

Well I know they get big, but I also know that I will be finished my upgrade within the next 4 mo, so I figured I would be okay. (75 gallon)

I like him a lot, but I have really started researching and realize now that I can't keep him properly. I don't want to get an entire shoal, and I don't want him to the be the centerpiece of my new aquarium( it's going to be Rainbowfish centric)

Right now he is only 2 inches, but he bullies the Oto cats, and is uprooting plants.

So, I need to return him. I know this. But can anyone suggest easily found loaches, that don't get nearly as big, but can help with snails? I don't want snails. Or is there another way to keep snails out of the tank? Without chemicals? I don't want to wait for them to appear in my tank and then address it.

I am embarrassed that I bought him. I know better.

Thanks.

Snails do not just spontaneously appear in aquariums. Sometimes there eggs might be on the leaves of plants. So if you rinse your plants and look for any eggs on the leaves (I believe they look like small gelatinous spheres) or by specifically snail free plants that I have seen carried in my local Petco and Petsmart then you should not have a snail problem.

If you truely don't want any snails you can just get a couple assissin snails. I know they are snails but loaches that eat snails tend to be somewhat rowdy. I have 3 yo-yo loaches in my planted 220g to keep common pond snails down but they don't mess with my nerite or malaysian trumpet snails at all. Loaches are hit and miss. The small Kuhli loaches don't eat snails so assissin snails or trapping the snails out of your tank is your best bet.

I trAp snails with a ton of algae wafers in a mason jar, just make the opening small enough for snails and not fish, give it over night ill have prolly half u s snails I. There in one go

Thanks all.

I did not know I could wash off snail eggs.

I like the thought if loaches, but just don't know if I will ever be able to house them correctly.

I am going to return my Clown Loach. And use some of these other suggestions to keep a snail population at bay, if it is needed.

Hopefully the store will take him back. I am willing to eat the money I paid for him.

Back
Top Bottom